Bat houses

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Iddee, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Got 2 put up at the farm today. Hoisted my son up in the front loader we bought last week.

Each have a capacity of about 300 bats.

Should cut down on the mosquito population significantly.

[​IMG]

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

been kicking the idea of putting one of them up myself. There are several people in town that have them

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would like to put one up. I had some plans, but I've lost them along the way

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have been looking for some good plans for those too! Any chance of sharing?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Google is full of plans. The only woodwork I do is for the woodstove. A local birdhouse maker made these for me.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I forgot about you and woodworking...ha! I have seen some plans online....thanks!

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Bats get a lot of bad PR but they sure do us a lot more good than not. They really should hook up with the bee's PR machine! They are having a serious disease problem that is decimating their populations. White nose fungus.

8. power napper

power napper New Member

There seem to be fewer bats here each year. I had two bat boxes on my house one on each end of the house, had one in a huge oak tree and built one for my brother. Used plans from the internet and mounted at the recommended heights. Over the years all the boxes have been used by bats. Have wanted to build a big bat box out of 2" lumber and mount on a cut off pine tree in the middle of a pine tree forest to see if it is more attractive for bats but just never got around to it.

9. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

We have bats with no effort. they mainly go after the moths attracted to the street lights. You can watch them fly all the way up and down the street. On a good night you can actually see the reduction in moths. We have several bridges over the river close to us and they live under those bridges by the thousands. On a warm summer night we might have two or three dozen flying by. It is interesting to watch as the separate groups fly head on into each other. THey pass each other at what looks like 120 M.P.H and never hit each other.

I have had them almost fly through our camp fire at the lake before also. Flying just over our heads after whatever it is buzzing up there.

10. pturley

pturley New Member

Thank you for the reminder... ...I need to build a few more of these!!!