BC or ABJ?

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Slowmodem, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If I remember right, someone at one of our meetings said that Bee Culture and American Bee Journal were both good magazines. But that one was aimed at the commercial/experienced/technical type of person and one was aimed at the average Joe person. Is this true? If I had to pick one, is there a preference?

(maybe not bee news, but bee news conveyors maybe)

Thanks! :)

2. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

I get Bee Culture and i'm a newbeek and I like it very much!

3. Apiarist

Apiarist New Member

I only subscribed to ABJ for many years and it gave me a lot of insight. Currently I subscribe to both of the above magazines. Each has columns for beginners and experienced alike. If I had to recommend only one, it would be the ABJ.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

greg, both journals are excellent, i subscribe to both and have for many years. if i were to recommend one for you, i would recommend subscribing to bee culture first. although apiarist said "Each has columns for beginners and experienced alike," i do agree, however, in my HO, i think you would benefit more from B/C than ABJ, and i think most of us younger in beekeeping would to start off with. ABJ does have some basics, but also more advanced/technical and world wide articles. i think you might appreciate b/c a little more now, and then when you can't read enough, subscribe to abj....:lol:
    whenever i help someone get started in beekeeping, or help someone younger in keeping, i give them a subscription to bee culture.
    hope this helps.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I subscribe to the ABJ but often wish I had a subscription to Bee Culture. Almost by definition (if you understand almost anything about market and potential consumer audience) both publication are more directed toward the new bee keeper than any commercial operator.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Both, enjoy reading articles in both

7. power napper

power napper New Member

Both are excellent reading, I agree with Bee Culture seems more appropriate for beginners. For many years I subscribed to both, now I do not get either one. In my basement I have many many years of old ABJ and Bee Culture that I purchased years ago from an old bee keeper, the vast majority of them have not been read by me yet, some of the older magazines are really informative reading. Some bee clubs share magazines with newer bee keepers.