Be mean to me

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

If I could possibly bother you to get your opinion on my website? It's at http://www.bens-bees.com and please don't spare the judgement. If it sucks, let me know. Please be nit-picky because whatever you find wrong with it, the only way I'll know is if you tell me. So be mean here.

Thanks for your time.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Looks pretty good! I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar, and did not notice any glaring errors.

My only comment is that the "number of hits" counter increments every time I go to another page. So, for my single visit, you recorded something around 6-7 hits. Maybe this is the way things are done in the World of Websites, I don't know, but it seems rather inaccurate to me. Not that it really matters as long as you know what it is recording.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I liked the 'limited' color back drop.

and a question...
    how did you come to a decision as to your pollination charges?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks good. One small suggestion. The contents need a color variation on the background so you can see the scrollable area on the main part of the page. Other than that, it looks quite nice.

BTW, what is a "Muckmelon - $60"? I think that's a new one on me.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I am a horrible speller, so I made sure to run it through MS Word spellchecker for errors.

Yeah, and most of the existing hits are from me... but the benefit to doing it that way is that the back-end stats show me exactly how each person progressed through the site without having to get all invasive with tracking cookies and whatnot.

But seeing as how the total number of hits is pretty meaningless seeing as how I'm not looking for advertizers or anything like that, I'm considering hiding the count entirely.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Thanks, I wanted to keep it simple.

LOL, I figured the prices would get a response or two. A bit of it was research, but a lot of it has to do with scale. For example, if I were to head out to CA with 25 hives to hit the almond crop next year, I couldn't possibly do it without losing my shirt and the farm if the prices were in line with standard prices. So do I expect to get an almond contract for next year? Nope, but that's ok with me while I'm still building up to numbers that make pollination contracts more cost effective for me... if I do though, then great because I won't lose my shirt at the prices I have laid out.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That is a bit of a problem, isn't it? I'll see what I can come up with to remedy that.

Oops, like I told Hobie, I'm a horrible speller... that should be Muskmelon (usually sold as cantaloupe in grocery stores). I don't know why spellchecker didn't pick that one up, but I'll get it fixed... good catch.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Muckmelons don't sell nearly as well. ;)

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good to me.

G3

10. Omie

Omie New Member

I would make the home page background color something other than dead glaring white.
    How about a sandy beige, a pale butter color, or a pale soft green? Something easier on the eyes that will look nicer alongside the colors in the photos.

11. jajtiii

jajtiii New Member

Here is a usability consult, free of charge=)

I have no idea what the demographics of your user base is, so will assume that it is just a typical person with internet access.

On the landing page, you promo three items. A general user will expect these items to be linked to content (i.e. clickable). I would create pages behind each of these three items, with some content that delves into the categories to a greater degree.

For example, you could create a page for 'Hive Rental' that goes into the details of exactly what this is, how it works and why folks should be excited about renting your hives. From the home page, link to this content from both (and it should be both) the picture and the words 'Hive Rental'.

The next thing that I would delve into would be what folks call 'SEO', or just another way of saying 'make my site turn up at the top of google searches for my keywords.'

To do this, be very liberal with your keywords (such as Hive Rental, Honey Sales, etc...) and your location in all of your content. The more that this shows up, the more that a search engine will start to drive your site to the top (this is only one part of a million, but it is an important part to focus on at the start.)

When I build a site for someone, the number one goal is nearly always to identify a few keywords and get that site to show up in the top 5 or 10 when searching google. That's how folks will find you (which is presumably why most folks build a site - to be found.)

Good site. good luck on your ventures.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Version 1.1 is up now... still far from finished, but I made a few of the suggested changes (I still have others on my plate to be made later). See what you think now.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that is better that the pics are now able to be clicked on, now make your email addy clickable also.

G3