Bear Damage in Ontario

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by BobbyC, May 13, 2012.

1. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

of all the pest we have here thankfully we do not have bears..... yet!

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

The other weekend visited a friend in Canton Ontario, for some bee talk. He suggested to go and check bees in one of his yards. When we got there, it was a heart breaking sight. Broken frames, boxes and covers all over the place. Four hives completely destroyed. Battery that powers electrical fence died, so bear had no problem getting in. Left my phone and camera in my truck at his house, so no pictures.
    I was glad I invested in solar fencers in my yards.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

Can you move the pallet a bit farther away from the fence? I can just image the bear stretching out as far as it can to try to topple the stack back toward the fence (from the pics it looks like they are fairly close).

As shown, the hive appears to be pretty close to being within the bears reach. This likely added to its determination to get to them. Even to the point of taking a couple pops from the wire to pull the hive over.

If the hives were well outside of it's reach, I'd think there would be less of a temptation/motivation to keep going past the jolts.

Once it did manage to pull the stack down, I'd say you were lucky with how the wires landed across the middle of the box.

Either way, it's pretty obvious... ...a determined bear is a tough thing to keep out.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi bobbyc,
    i read your blog, you are fortunate. i do have problems with bears and use 12000 volts to keep them out. critters will go under first, then through, with two wires, over. if you can, use 3 wires instead of two, and move the fence back away from the hives, or the hives away from the fence. (from your pics, it appears the hives are a little too close to the fence). if the hives are let's say less than 3 feet from the wire, they will reach through, take the shock, and tip it over.