bearding or getting ready to swarm

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 2kooldad, Jul 17, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

my nuc bees have been doing this for 2 days...they always beard some but not like this...i never have seen them do what they do before they swarm sooooo....is this what it looks like or is it diffrent ???

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

bearding and wash boarding, sign of a good strong hive that is hot on the inside.

You need to look inside to see if they need more room.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Put them in a full size hive, or add another nuc box on top.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would guess this is a 5 frame nuc box (which by the way look quite nicely made)????? take a small wedge, stick or even a frame type nail and prop the lid slightly open on one corner and see if the 'problem' doesn't go away.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

It was my first home made bee hive ever...yes its a 5 frame nuc...i made it out of cherry wood i had layen around...the top of it is on a hinge so it doesnt come off...there goes the box on top idea lol...every set of bees i put in it does real well...these are the 3rd ones to call it home...they have been in there a month or so...its been hot an muggy here and since the last time i was in that box an it was full of brood...i'd bet it hatched an its crowded in there...your getting at more ventalation by proping the lid open...it will be easy to do on this box...i'll do it when i get home an check them to see if they are ready to transplant (im betting they are by now).....so.....how does whats in this picture differ from what they would do when they are about ti swarm...just curious :|

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Alot of flying activity swirling above and all around the hive, but by then it's to late to do anything about it. Jack

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

an when they do that its diffrent than their many cleansing/homming flights they do a day ???

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes, if they are in the process of swarming, they will be swirling high above the hive and all around in a frantic situation and bearding on the front of the hive. If they are making orientation flights,they will fly lazily around the hive and zig zag in front of the hive with some bearding. I agree with the others from your pitcher, They need more room and ventilation. Jack

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Im used to the cleansing flights....when i see what your discribing i'll know its diffrent....i have a hive ready for them and waiting...im gonna make some ventalated top covers an screen inner covers for my hives for next year.