Bearing Fruit!

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Slowmodem, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

American persimmon are borderline invasive but not quite so much this far north. The male trees produce LOTS of flowers that nectar drips from. The trees at my dad's farm hummed with bees when it was blooming.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

DLMKA,same hear, the bees love them,i have a field now that they are trying to take over along with sumac. I'll leave the ones out of the way for the bees, deer, and other wild life, but will brush cut the ones in the pastures. Jack

3. Minz

Minz Member

I think the one I have been looking for is a Fuyu, maybe that is an Asian type? Just looked at Craigs list and can get one for $35. Since it is starting to rain I may go and do it.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I have a Fuyu variety of Persimmon in my yard. It's most distinctive advantage is that it doesn't have the same level of astringency in its fruits as other varieties.They don't have to be artificially treated to remove the astringency and can be eaten while still firm.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I have two variety of pear trees; one a bosch and the other a bartlet. Had our first pears this year after only 3 years.

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

We put in 6 different fruit tree a few years ago, The calves got into them and killed all but the one apple tree we have....

7. Minz

Minz Member

After this thread I started checking Craigs list (it is starting to rain for fall planting here). I went down on Friday and got a blueberry for $3 to fill in a dead hole in the patch and a 6’ Fuyu persimmon for $35. The first bare root I got never put a leave on. It gets expensive to read this thread. I think I missed my bud grafting window here for getting the Italian prune a pollinator.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Gardening threads are expensive. I am not sure what I have spent over almost 3 years with the bees. Overall I've only lost a peach, an oak, and a few annuals/perennials, but I sure spent some money and my water bill is higher than my electric bill.

9. Minz

Minz Member

gypsi, do you know of any good garden forums?