Bears and Bad advice from the "experts"

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hobie, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Recently, in our local bee association, there has been discussion about bears, and a few incidents with people's bee yards.

I had posted the suggestion (worth repeating here) that I saw on craigslist someone was selling her horses, and mentioned that, after they were sold, there would be a solar fence available. I thought this might be an economical way to obtain fencing (although probably way more than one would need.) I added the comment that fences should be baited with bacon, or similar.

Another member replied with this:
    "I was discussing the matter of bears with one of the [PA] game commission bear guys. He stated that to use the 120v. electric direct, and not to use the electric fencer. He also advised not to use the bacon trick as this might encourage the bears to return."

Thankfully, the next several posts were from beekeepers saying NOT to use direct voltage, as it may kill someone. I can't believe this came from one of our "experts." Or, well, maybe I can, and that's the sad part.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've not had bear trouble yet, they are about 40 to 50 miles south and south east of Fair Grove but are coming our way. Farmers 60 miles north in St. Clair co.and Hickory co.where i have some hives have seen a few bears but not many like down south.They are protected in Mo. :roll: along with a growing mountain lion population that the conservation dept. denied that we had until some were hit by cars.Greene co. where i live is too populated and we probably won't have a problem with them here.I do worry about my hives up north, it's wild country mostly woods, bluffs and river bottom land, i've heard say a bear can smell a bee hive 5 miles away :confused: Hope i never have to deal with them. Hummmm, maybe i do have a Bear problem, that was my wifes maiden name. :lol: :lol: Jack

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Jack;
    Several years ago a beekeeper down in Bunker, Mo. killed a bear that was messing up his hives.
    Bunker is about 20 miles South of Salem, Mo.

The Conservation Dept. was upset that he had not contacted them, but as far as I know nothing was done about it.

Murrell

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We just learned this morning that there are several black bears living not even 5 miles away from our place :shock: I hope they decide that they have plenty of things to eat right where they are ......and that they are infertile :beg:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am certainly happy that both the states of Arkansas and Louisiana dump their problem bears long the east Texas border and not here in central Texas.

I cannot image anyone of authority would recommend using AC voltage for a predator fence. I guess someone never considered why AC voltage is used in the electric chair and not DC voltage. <In the book 'Empire of Light' there is a fairly humorous description of the first use of electricity in the execution of an person convicted of murder... along with the economic politics that drove this first experiment.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Oh, and I forgot... if bears DO trash your hives, the PA authorities will reimburse you. Reasonable rates for woodenware, but only 17 cents/lb for honey. (The catch is, you can only make one claim in your lifetime.)

Might be profitable to put on a bear suit and go "harvesting"! :eek:

Just another reason not to move to PA to keep bees.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, from what i've heard at our bee meeting, putting on a bear suite and messing with someones hives wouldn't be a good idea. :wave: Jack

9. Tia

Tia New Member

We have bears living just down the road from us so I had an electric fence up for quite some time. When the loggers moved into the bears' living area, the bears moved up to my property. Pursuant to instructions from the Wildlife Division, I bated the fence with peanut butter folded up in aluminum foil and attached to the fence. Once they got a charge to their nose/mouth, the bears learned pretty quickly to leave the fence alone! Once the loggers were done, the bears moved back to their previous home.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell, we have bee club members down around Ava and KisseeMills, Mo. that have had there hives destroyed by bears.I know these hillbilly's well, and i would say the problem was taken care of. :thumbsup: Jack

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I believe bear season just opened here. I think it best to stow the bear suit and stick with my honey obtained by less questionable means.

12. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Why not start with the proper equipment from the beginning? If you live in bear country then get all the stuff you need. Just the same as if you were getting into beekeeping you would most likely buy a veil. Shooting the bear is only a temporary solution. Its kind of like shooting a squirrel at a bird feeder, another one will show up sooner or later. Point is get the charger and build a fence if you live where bears live.

13. Jimmy Mckenzie

Jimmy Mckenzie New Member

I highly recommend Zareba's systems solar fencer.
    Please check out their website for the different options they have. Their website also
    and electric fence systems. This website includes charts and guides, expert tips, FAQs, Fence Planner and the products and components that will help you create a long-lasting, cost-effective electric fence system for your animal containment and control needs.

14. BeeG

BeeG New Member

OMG I had no idea Missouri had bear!!!!! I am in Midmonear the capital .. hope my LGD that I have coming will keep bear away from myhives and livestock too. The komondor when corded is a very effective deterrentof large predators. The cords act like an armor against tooth and claw. Geethese crazy conservationist added elk, protecting dangerous predators, heck soonwe may be overrun with wolves too .

15. Tia

Tia New Member

The Wildlife guy told me not to use bacon--that this would attract lots of critters, not just bears, and give me a bigger problem. He told me to spread peanut butter on aluminum foil strips and fold the foil over the peanut butter. The bear can smell the p.b., but has to bite into the foil to get at it. Seems to work well. I only have to do it once to make the bears keep their distance.

16. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Tia, I think perhaps peanut butter will also attract lots of critters besides bears. I really dont mind what nosey critters learn to give my fences a wide berth.

17. Nenno from Ork

Nenno from Ork New Member

Both AC and DC will kill you just as dead if the current and voltage are high enough. The electric chair was built as a PR stunt to discredit Tesla and his AC generators.
    The issue was that the "expert" in question said use direct household 120V AC. There's no pulse to it so you get hit and stay hit until it kills you. A fence just gives a zap and then a moment of no charge to get away.

I like the peanut butter and aluminum foil bit. I'd probably fall for that one at least once!

Nenno