Bears

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Charles, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't have the bear problems in my area, but have heard that if you do put up an electric fence to bait it with some bacon or peanut butter on the wires to make sure the bear gets a shock. His thick fur could insulate hime good enough to just walk through it.

If it is very dry where you have your bees you can also lay chicken wire or field fencing on the ground outside of the post and tie and extra ground wire to it so that the bear IS grounded and will make the complete connection with the hot wire.

Be sure to drive a good ground rod and use a ground rod clamp

G3

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

There was a letter in Bee Culture many months ago from a man who had his hive(s?) in a small metal structure that was on his property. It was a leftover something from bygone days... This thing looked like an old boiler or something, not sheet metal. It worked, but I have to think it made inspections difficult.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I haven't had bear trouble yet, but a conservation agent told me if you hang one of those pepper spray canisters (you can get at auto parts stores) with a piece of bacon rapped around it from a tree or bush. (next to your hives) That the bear can bite through the canister, and he won't be back. :thumbsup: I take that back about not having trouble with a Bear, my wifes maiden name was Bear and we were married 50 years last June 5. Hmmmm pepper spray. :mrgreen: Jack

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Your bear trouble must have not been to bad :lol: you and the bear have been together for 50 :roll: whopping years.

:D Al

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Get more people in the nieghborhood to get bees. You will increase your odds of someone else getting hit, and lessen yours..... :thumbsup:

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member