Bears!!

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Cape Fear Bees, May 25, 2012.

1. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

Experiences with bear fences and such? Im planning to move into the mtns for the summer and could use all the advice any of you have to offer! Thanks!!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No personal eperience yet, but like you, I am going to be keeping bees in a couple of areas where it might come in handy.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

See if Omie will give you the formula for her magic green paint. It's bear proof.:lol:

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have heard about omie's green paint, but ain't gonna help you out.....:grin:
    paul, plenty of experience on the bear thing, just put up a new solar fencer to replace an old one, and rechecked/replaced all my fencing wires and ground rods to be replaced this weekend, what kind of advice are you looking for on the bear fencing?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

them poor bears are so misunderstood!

6. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Oh...bears. I hates the bears, yes I do. I don't have fence advice other than YES, GET ONE, YES YES YES if you're going to be anywhere near an area where bears regularly come into peopled areas.

My Hive Alpha is forever branded with a large blurry, muddy bear print. We put a clear coat over it, so it would always stay there.

We think of it as kind of a reminder for us that sometimes...no matter what you do in life, a black bear just comes along and beats the crap out of your beehive, but you have to just pick up the pieces and keep going.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

I also read entice the bears to touch the fence with bacon and peanut butter, strung on the fence, someone also mentioned alternating ground and live wires, to guarantee a shock.......... they only do it once.......

Of course I don't have the issue, just read the threads.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

zulu said:
    "I also read entice the bears to touch the fence with bacon and peanut butter, strung on the fence, someone also mentioned alternating ground and live wires, to guarantee a shock.......... they only do it once.......
    Of course I don't have the issue, just read the threads"

zulu, baiting a fencing wire is not necessary.....there are different thoughts on this, (or using bacon), but i recommend against this practice. this only serves to attract the bear or other critters to the fence. let's say for example you are aware of bears in your area, and never had a problem with bears until you place the peanut butter or bacon on the wire.....you don't really want to draw their attention to your hives to 'train' them, they will be trained once they hit a (minimum of 6,000 v) 8 to 12,000+ volt fence line that sends them on their merry bear way.

a pic of my fencer, and a little bit of discussion in this thread
    solar fencers

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Can't speak for bears but when our cattle were breaking through our barbed wire fence into the orchard, we put up an electric fence and charger but it didn't stop them even though it was hot enough to burn weeds off that touched it. Daddy hug some apples on the electric fence itself and once the cows got a "bite" of it, they stopped tearing through.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

[FONT=&amp] wayne, you don’t want to ‘train’ bears, as you would livestock, they are not livestock. you ‘train’ them typically once with the voltage of the fencer. I [/FONT]don't disagree with you on the cows...most fencing for cows or livestock are alot less than what is used for bears. Some livestock (especially cows) will take the shock and some more persistent at taking the shock. cows are 'dumber' than bears......for dumber, more persistent cows, we just gave them a change of address....for bears, that can get through just about anything they want , there is no change of address. Bears are smarter and they don’t like the powerful shock. bears get the ‘message’ and ‘respect’ the fence the first time around without bait. been around bear fencing enough to know that if i put 'bait' on it to attract them they will show up quicker than desired, not what i want. different than how livestock is trained. you want livestock to respect the fence right away. Bears ‘respect’ the fence the first time, without bait, and if your fence is between 7,000 and 12,000 volts it sets them on their furry behind never to return. I don't want to invite them in, or back with extra material placed on the wires. bears don't need to be attracted to or trained to’ respect’ a fence as cows do, or even some horses. one good powerful shock is all it takes for a bear to get them to ‘respect ‘ it.

One more thought, you don’t need barbed wire……it is not the wire as some folks think, it is the amount of voltage sent through the wire to stop them, and I use 17 gauge aluminum wire with 12,000 volts sent through it. for my setup there is an additional barrier to get through, but would recommend the use of smooth steel wire or cable.

11. Crofter

Crofter New Member

You dont have to worry about the drawing effect of a few strips of bacon compared to the smell of the honey! The idea is to have the bear tentatively approach the fence for the first encounter and not be headed at speed for a prize that is some 10 or twenty feet beyond. If a bear is head and shoulders through a fence before he gets the first shock (maybe not at all with their thick fur) he is less likely to be deterred.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crofter,
    if your fencing wires are energized and properly spaced, every 6", a bear will not get it's head and shoulders through. critters tend to go under first, and then through. when their nose and head hit that wire from smelling the honey, which drew them there, as you said, that powerful painful shock will detour them. one purchases energizers designed for animal type, fur thickness and body weight, so when buying one, take into consideration what voltage it delivers, and what animal it is designed for.

bears rarely go over, unless the hives have been placed to close to your fence and have only 1 to 3 energized wires improperly spaced, they will reach over or through these and knock the hive down.

lol tec: "them poor bears are so misunderstood! "......
    what's for lunch? or as iddee said who is lunch? your hives :lol:

Attached Files:

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

riverbee, my fencer is a 6 joule stored supposedly 100 mile fencer. I think 10,000 or so Volts depending on how much fence it is hooked to. How bears react to fencing I would say depends a bit on how civilized they are. The ones in our area are accustomed to climbing into dumpsters and breaking into garden sheds etc. One crawled into a car window a few miles away and totally demolished the interior; wrote off the vehicle! A beekeeper I know had her electric fence literally torn down when several bears got tangled in it, alternating wires and all, Gallagher designed. Once shorted they are zero effective. I only have a few hives here as well as horses, so in this case horses safety is more a concern than the hives.

Hard stretched alternating charged and grounded barbed wire is almost necessary to keep veteran scavenger bears out of honey. Below is a picture of one yard with alternating charged and barbed wire that is doing the trick so far; no such thing as overkill with bears.

Attached Files:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi crofter,
    joules really are unreliable, units vary so much with manufacturers, and the miles of fencing is irrelevant, it's the 'punch' it packs in the voltage the unit delivers to the length of fence and your grounding system is the most important factor. you need a volt meter to check your volts if you don't have one, they are handy and can help identify a problem. you have a nice setup, although i think i would charge every wire for bears, and not alternate between charged and grounded. what sort of charger are you using?

have lived in bear country for along time and am familiar with 'civilized' bears, (lol). when i was a teen i worked in yellowstone every summer, the park had the best fed bears in the state. you just need more volts to retrain them:grin:

now i could tell you about a grizzly bear that broke into a travel trailer....helped himself to the cupboards, and the refrigerator(oops,door sort of came off, and the door to the trailer)....and then took a nap in the bedroom.....

you are right on about there being no such thing as overkill with bears. i tend to stay away from using barbed wire, they get tangled up in it, as do other critters, can't get free and keep getting shocked until it shorts out.

gee, i think cape fear bees disappeared and maybe rethinking moving to the mountains:lol:

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

16. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Just when I was beginning to think we would find nothing at all to agree upon,:wink:

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crofter,
    "Just when I was beginning to think we would find nothing at all to agree upon,:wink:"

awww, we do have a great deal in common and to agree about crofter......BEARS! :grin:
    just different methods and thinking and i enjoy sharing ideas and yammering with others like you about those yogi's....:drinks: