Beautiful Summer Day

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by sqkcrk, Jul 2, 2011.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Started off the morning selling my last nuc. The buyer came by at 8.

Jumped in the truck and went to the first yard to install excluders, add supers, and check colony condition. 36 cols. Long pants, t-shirt and veil, no gloves. Bees were flying well at 9:00. No dronelayers. Some honey above the brood chamber in most hives. I had split this yard about three weeks ago.

Drove to the next yard, stopping at a store for a drink. Temps had gotten up to 80 maybe, but w/ a bit of a breeze. More checking colonies, installing excluders and supering. This time I used a nuc which I already had in that yard. Conditions were right for going w/out a veil for about an hour and a half. Took two stings to the ear. Not bad. Nice to work w/out a veil or gloves.

This yard was 40 cols that I split into 80, adding queens 2.5 days later by figuring out where the queen was or wasn't by the presence of or absence of eggs, or by luckily seeing the queen. That seemed to work pretty well, having only one dud out of the forty I installed queens into.

One more yard to check cols and install excluders. But they will be okay until Monday. They have room to store honey. Then there are still about 6 yards to check to see if they need more room.

Basswood should start blooming soon, maybe Monday. Sumac is starting to bloom here. Clover had been blooming and I have seen bees working it. A crop is shaping up. Potential for a good one. Let's hope.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Nice post, I like to hear about people's yards. :D
    Since you and I are both in NY, I'll take heart from your prediction of a good flow coming!

I got stung twice today- ankle and thumb. Both from a hive where I was trying to kidnap the queen to a holding nuc, but despite looking through 20 frames three times I just could NOT find her! :(
    You always find them when you don't need to.

I killed a queen in another nuc on purpose, and I added a second deep to another split and kept the foundationless honey super on it, which they are slowly working on.
    All in all, a beautiful day, wasn't it?
    Drank a lot of iced tea though- hot with my veil on.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Went to the lake. Mowed the cabin yard, cooked supper on the grill, "dinner to you yanks", then went out on the pontoon boat and watched the fireworks. All in all, a beautiful day, as Mark said.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I oft times see lots of honey ion the future only to see predictions proved wrong. Therer are so many variables not in our hands.

I find a second pair of eyes helpful when looking for queens.

Another "trick" I learned from some package producers is to stand each frame up against the hive, on its' end bar, after looking it over for the queen. Do this w/ each frame until all ten are leaning against the hive and against each other. Then, one by one, w/out picking them up, lean the first frame away from the next one examining the comb surface for the queen and then moving on to the next one, never picking up a frame. Then, one by one, do that in reverse, if you haven't seen the queen.

While the frames are out of the box, check the walls of the hive. Sometimes, there she is.

Then, put them back, looking for the queen. If you still haven't found her, leave the hive alone and go back another day.

Hot w/ a veil? Yeah, that's why I didn't wear one. Maybe I worked a little slower, but slower is good. It's not like I need to work at anyone elses pace. No race.

I always carry water and on days when I sweat more than usual, PowerAde or the Gator. I dropped Pepsi from my diet 9 months ago. Haven't noticed any benefit to the weight situation, but maybe I sleep better. Can't tell. Gotta be good for the pocket book tho.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Y'all still call the midday meal lunch? Or do ya call it dinner? When I lived in Brasstown, lunch was dinner, if I recall correctly. Brasstown, NC. Just down the road from Murphy.

Mom was from Iowa, Dad too. She always called us to supper around 5:00 PM. I forget, but maybe dinner was interchangeable w/ supper. Maybe dinner was a more special supper. The more I learn the less I know.

Monday's gonna be beautiful too. Gonna go to a cookout w/ my Daughter who is working at the Horse Show in Lake Placid. Come rain or shine, a cookout w/ her will be beautiful.