Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted some color in the bee yard and needed to paint some newly constructed hives...so, off to Home Depot for some exterior paint. Actually found a Disney color entitled, "Bee a Friend" ...right under Tigger's Tummy color..ha! Anyway, the color turned out well. I will probably keep all my medium honey supers yellow from here on out...Now I just need some more bees to fill these...swarms or nucs..whichever comes first...
Cabinetry Table Window Plant Wood Rectangle Communication Device Metal Magenta Plastic Plant Fixture Road surface Wood Asphalt Cabinetry Plant Furniture Wood Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Nice shade of light coloring (makes it cool :cool:). Give a thought to the possibility of adding some small additional marking on the color, it helps the bees (if hives are lined up in a row) from unintentionally entering the wrong hive. For that matter, it helps US identify them when we have taken the supers off the hive.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Looks really good, I do like the paint color name, that's funny!!

You did a good job on building all of your wooden wares for sure!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! I enjoy constructing them as much as I like keeping the bees..it's a win win...
@Wayne, the paint is "Americas Finest" exterior semi-gloss at Home Depot. There are three bases, 1, 2, and 3. The #1 has white tint in it already and only can accept pastel colors (almost full can) or use for traditional white supers. Darker colors like my yellow take the #2 and real dark colors of course #3. I did not know that was how that worked until yesterday so thought I would mention it so you could streamline your shopping (it's already hard enough to get out of there...I could stay all day with that eye candy, ha!). Anyway, the paint was $19.98 and no cost for the tint. I painted 8 medium supers with three coats and only used about 1/5 of the gallon. I'm not sure if they sell quart containers of the same paint.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
nice color blueblood, i do paint my supers with different colors courtesy of home depot, and other paint stores 'mis-mixed' paint.
my beeyard in the summer is quite colorful, and best of all, folks will stop and ask me what the significance is of the colored boxes :grin:

they think it is some 'secret' thing we do, so pushes the 'bee button' to discuss honey bees. and efmesch has a good point about colors, although in many ways, bees can distinguish their home from another, color is another aspect.

intheswamp LOL!

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
A stripe on the bottom board in a different color might work, like a runway, for the bees to find home?

Beautiful boxes Blueblood

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind feedback.....do you all really think a patch of another color would help them navigate their hive better? How do they find their hive when they are all white?:???:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts