bee ambush...or maybe wild kindom

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i sat down by the hives today an saw a big robber fly snatch one of my bees...it was really big and bumble bee colored...the wheel bugs like to hang out on the hives and catch stray bees too...dragon flys wait on the outside magnolia leaves to swoop up a bee here and there...ants, birds, people.....its like new york city round here...ima have to get some of those chinese gung fu bees :aikido: :box: :duel:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Be happy they are solitary insects that work on their own as individuals. One year I had a beautiful spider set it's web just above the entrance board. More damaging are the lizards that wait on the corner of the roof and snap them up one after another.
    BUT,
    What can really set you crying is an attack by wasps. They keep coming back for more bees in greater and greater numbers as their own nests become stronger. I've had all too many hives totally destroyed by wasps (Vespa orientalis, a big powerful wasp). Last year I spent hours netting the wasps as they came one after another to kidnap my careless bees. I won the battle, but it's not a practical solution when you have a lot of hives to look after.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ive seen those on tv an you tube....arent those the ones that bite the heads off the bees...kill the whole colony...or are those the giant bee eating hornets...you never said what kinda bees you had ???

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hi 2Kooldad,
    My bees are the Italian variety of Apis mellifera, the variety most commonly grown in Israel.
    Last summer I filmed an episode of the local oriental wasp while it was attacking one of my hives. I put it on you tube.
    If you want, you can follow this link:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CvyL2HEiWU
    It's not the greatest of films, but you can see the poor bees trying to fend for themselves. Not always successfully. I've seen some of the other videos on the subject--really frightening!

5. rast

rast New Member

Now that would give a hive a bad disposition.

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

what did you do ???

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

A friend of mine who is in 4th year of beekeeping noticed a pile of bee bodies without heads laying under the hive entrance. He set up a wildlife camera and found out a "possum" was waiting at the entrance and grabbing the bees as they landed, biting their heads off and dropping the rest. He raised his hive to about 18" and solved that problem.