Bee anticipation of future food / nectar source

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, May 23, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I've got some smart bees. They are already inspecting the future nectar source before it is even planted. See what you think...

I planted another acre of Buckwheat this morning and about 2 acres of soybeans. As I was pouring the soybeans into the hopper, a honey bee landed on the sack and crawled inside. I stopped pouring and looked inside the sack. She was crawling around on the beans and in a little while flew away. Before I could get the sack emptied into the hopper, two more bees flew up and crawled inside the sack. And before I could stop and put the sack down, another couple of bees showed up.

I'm guessing the first bee flew the 50 yards or so to the hive and told the others to come check out the future nectar source. Probably not but it impressed the wife and daughter anyway.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Strange, it must have had something they were interrested in, a smell or something.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Getting the protein from the powder on the seed. Soy flour is a main ingredient in pollen patties.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

ditto iddee I have seen them on a warm day in the winter forage in sawdust as if it was a pollen source