Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
John,

Thanks. I think I'll wait until summer when you have the larger ones, as I'll be able to put it straight into the ground in the front yard where my son won't trample it. I don't mind paying extra for the larger size and additional shipping costs... it'll be worth it to have one big enough to put straight in the ground. I might also get a few for one of my outyards, but I'll have to check with the land owner first since I don't own that property.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi John,

I purchased seeds off of you a while back and I think I'm seeing sprouts now. I have them on a heated mat in one of those "hydrofarms". Could you post a pic of what the new sprouts look like when just popping up? This way I can compare and make sure these aren't just weeds lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Eddy Honey said:
Hi John,

I purchased seeds off of you a while back and I think I'm seeing sprouts now. I have them on a heated mat in one of those "hydrofarms". Could you post a pic of what the new sprouts look like when just popping up? This way I can compare and make sure these aren't just weeds lol.
I'm sure your seeing Bee Bee Trees. They pop up kinda bent over and sometimes with the shiny black shell from seeds still stuck to them. The first two leaves are rounded and as you see in picture the second set and all leaves after are somewhat diamond shaped. I hope the pictures confirm you have some Bee Bees growing! good luck with them and I'm happy to lend advice if you ever have questions. Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Houseplant Groundcover

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks John,

A couple have the shiny black shell stuck to them so they've got to be bee bee trees. I used my own dirt from the horse pasture so I was getting stuff popping up way before the trees should have germinated.

Is it common for the seeds to sprout about an inch or so away from where I planted them?

Ed

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmm...well, I suppose they could pop up like that. If they look like the pics and some have that shiny black shell stuck to leaves its gotta be them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased some seedlings last fall from John, very happy with the transaction. Good communication and answered any question I had :) Have any of you tried those tree tubes that you put over the seeding until they grow out the top? I have used them on fruit trees and they work very well, protecting the little guys from rodents and other crawling pests as well as giving them a "greenhouse" affect. I have the three I bought in those tubes so interested in seeing how long it takes for them to come out the top :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I think the tree tubes are a great idea. I am sure the seedlings will pop out of those tubes this summer. They will grow an average of 3ft in a growing season and up to 4-5ft a season first few years. They like ample water when young and will respond with good growth when they get it. Hope they continue to do well for you. Anyone interested in getting some seedlings or seeds can contact me here or at [email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The trees grow similar to a maple tree in size and shape so shade is definitely on the heavy side. The second picture in this post (1st page) is a typical growth pattern for the trees. That tree is still a bit young and will kinda balloon out more as it grows.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'll be putting in my order John. My boy wants to start a honey bee plant business so he's counting the contents of his piggy bank so he can get started. I even told him I'd sell him the dirt and water. I threw in the sunshine for free. I'll let him use my PayPal otherwise it will cost me more in shipping all that loose change to you than it will in shipping the trees lol.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts