Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Bee trees doing well

11K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  brockmole21 
#1 ·
I planted these from seedlings on August 1st. They were 3-4" tall then and now the tallest one is over 2 ft.
I cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and placed them over the seedings for wind and rabbit protection. I dust the trees with gardening lime periodically.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice. I got some seeds the first of last month. Put them in the fridge for a lil over a month now to simulate winter and i am going to plant them this week. Hope mine are as successful as yours.

#5 ·
The trees look like they are doing very well. I see they have the dark red branches and leaves have good healthy color in your Sept. pics. Good idea with the bucket for protection. I see they made it through winter nicely and your getting leaf so that's great. You should see 4ft feet of growth this season and perhaps a bit more.

#12 ·
Don't give up on them yet, I have Bee Bee tree seedlings still just coming out of dormant state, although most have already. They do need regular watering over winter months to keep the roots healthy. I have them for sale in the for sale section of forum if anyone is interested in these trees.

#13 ·
Out of 5 the only 1 that didn't survive was the one I brought in for the winter. The dog knocked the first 4 inches off the top and it hasn't sprouted this year like the other 4. I plan on getting more of these trees to plant in my forest. The loggers came through 2 summers ago and opened up the canopy so it gets lots of sun now.

On edit: Before chucking that 5th tree I looked really closely near the base and darned if that thing isn't sprouting green buds.....ITS ALIVE....

#14 ·
Evodia trees 06-02-2012 There has been 12 to 18" of growth in the last month. :smile:

Plant Plant community Grass Shrub Groundcover
Plant Tree Sky Terrestrial plant Land lot
Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Grass family
Plant Tree Land lot Vegetation Grass
Plant Plant community Land lot Vegetation Grass
Plant Tree Land lot Flower Terrestrial plant
Plant Flower Land lot Grass Groundcover
Plant Tree Land lot Terrestrial plant Grass

Attachments

#20 ·
The problem with hydro is they don't employ arborists but tree butchers that don't care that they are hacking the crap out of someones trees at the wrong time of year. Trees should be pruned in the spring after the the hard frosts have left and before the sap starts to flow not in the middle of the summer when it 100 Deg F outside.

#22 ·
These Bee Bee Trees are entering their 3rd season. They are between 6-8 feet tall.
Plant Sky Tree Land lot Window
Plant Sky Window Tree Land lot
Sky Terrestrial plant Tree Twig Evergreen

These Bee Bee Trees are the ones John shipped to me last September right before hurricane Sandy. Three out of four are sprouting leaves. The fourth may just be a late bloomer.
Plant Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Compost Grass
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment Circle

These are Bartlett and Kieffer pear trees I got from Arbor Day Foundation last fall:
Plant Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass family
Terrestrial plant Grass Plant Tableware Wood

Witch Hazel from Arbor Day...just starting to get tender leaf sprouts:
Terrestrial plant Plant Groundcover Grass Shrub

Attachments

#25 ·
Eddy, those sure are buds. I'd recognize them anywhere. Mine have not opened yet and it's a bit late as they usually have by now here. I bet the bees will take notice of those buds very soon, even if they still haven't opened.
From the pic above you can see the late frost turned the leaves very light colored.
The trees have since rebounded with new deep green growth and I think one may have it's first buds...??

View attachment 8427

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.