Bee behavior

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by MP Ranger, May 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MP Ranger

MP Ranger New Member

[h=6]Observation and guesses. We have a single box hive with an empty box above to protect the feeding jar. Last night we noticed a behavior I have been unable to figure out. At each entrance to the hive about 10 worker bees are hanging out. Figuring it might be too hot or crowded Ruth and I removed the top box and removed two frames yet "hived" from the box making it a seven frame hive. The bees all appear to be workers we do see an occasional drone on guard and there are workers bringing in pollen. The hive is a new hive about two weeks old and it appears the brood have hatched into bees. a couple days ago.[/h]

2. MP Ranger

MP Ranger New Member

Are these the guard bees for each entrance?

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

these are your guard bees, no need to remove frames.
    btw drones don't guard the hive, they are hanging waiting for a free lunch or a queen to mate with:grin:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

MP Ranger: :hi:

First, let me welcome you to our friendly forum, it's a great plce to hang out and ask questions. If you feel like it, introduce yourselves in our introduction thread, you will may find local members to help you with more "local" information.
    It does sound like guard bees to me as well.
    A couple of questions:
    1 - "At each entrance", are you talking about upper and lower entrances?
    2 - "removed two frames....making it a seven frame hive"?
    I assume you are running 10 frame equipment. If you are using new foundation I would strongly recommend placing all 10 frames in until your comb is drawn. You may end up with some very interesting versions of comb if the bees are left to their own devices with that much spare space.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You'd be amazed how happy the bees can be when they are crowded in the hive [not overcrowded though]. I agree with Riverbee and PerryBee. They know what they are talking about.
    And yes, Welcome to the forum, an unbeatable meeting place for all beekeepers, new and experienced, young and old. Ask questions to your heart's desire, no one will laugh at you (but we will be happy to laugh WITH you). :grin:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yes we will! and efmesch and perry were more observant than me.......:doh: ....so WELCOME and fire away!!!!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Put all ten frames back into the hive at once. Push them all together and equal out the left over space on the sides (between the last frame and the side of the box, on each side). Do not try to use nine frames with frame spacers in the brood box, just does not work.

Sounds like guard bees to me, drones are just bums looking around, they only serve one purpose.

The feeding jar you have in the top box, is it sitting on the inner cover and not just the frames?

Welcome to the forum also :hi:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

PLEASE, get all frames in the box. NOW!!!

Also, be sure you ARE using the inner cover and the bees CANNOT get into the box protecting the feeder.

NEVER LEAVE OPEN SPACE IN A BEE HIVE. THEY WILL DRAW CROSS COMB IN IT BEFORE USING FRAMES.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

geez guys.....
    if i was mp ranger i'd sort of get a complex about removing the frames and being 'scolded' for it 4 times now.....
    sort of sounds like we're hollerin' at the keep.......
    never mind us mp ranger, we all just like to help :grin:

so put the frames back in there before tecumseh finds this thread...........:lol:
    (or you might hear it again!)

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:lol: He will be much more sad if he lets them have open space. A new beek doesn't enjoy the fun and intrigue associated with cutting out 20 lb. of criss-crossed honey with a thousand angry bees trying to convince him to stop. :eek:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee....i can't help it, agree (from another thread, and iddee post) 'you gotta that one right' :lol:

so mp ranger when you get back to your thread, give us an update!