Bee Bread into pollen patties?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Ray, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

I have several frames with a lot of beebread on them. (Don't ask it's embarrassing) I'm hopeful that some of you cut-out experts have a recipe.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain what you are asking or why this might be a problem????

3. Ray

Ray Member

I have some partial frames of beebread (some not in frames at all), that aren't fit to put back in a hive. I thought of just smashing it into patties and feeding it that way. Grating it through a screen and making patties that way. I also thought of warming it, somehow, to melt off some of the wax. Hoping (Wishing, not jumping up and down on one foot) for some recipes, or ideas.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

How about freezing them till spring, then crumble while frozen and spread on inner cover?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect what I would do Ray is I would put it out somewhere close by the hive where it would be somewhat protected from the weather. ALMOST ALWAYS in the late summer or fall of the year bees will begin reducing their brood nest and at that time they being frantically searching for anything that looks like pollen. at the same time a hive will often begin closing off all the cracks and such and will likely also use some of the wax in such stuff for the manufacture of propolis. just a bit of honey or sugar water sprayed on the comb might help them find the comb.

6. jkuder

jkuder New Member

i was raising some queens and i had a busted up frame of bee bread so i smashed up the comb layed it ontop of some wax paper and put it on top of the queen cell frames 2 days later it was gone they ate every bit of it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thanks for that observation jkuder. Here I am leery of doing anything late in the season with any pollen like product due to small hive beetle concerns < this should logically be less of a concern with a hive with a very robust population than with a weak population.