Bee bread?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 3, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I understand what Tecumseh and Iddee state in that a frame laden with pollen becomes a barrier to the queen which she will not cross. I often find these in my lower boxes. What I am wondering is if this holds true for "bee bread".
    I am finding frames of what looks like very loose, crumbly type material, not quite what pollen looks like and often it is smack dab next to a frame of brood. On the other side of this frame there is more brood so I am wondering if this material is bee bread and that they want it as close as possible to brood? Will they feed this and open up the frame for more brood rearing?
    Does anyone have a picture of exactly what bee bread looks like? (if not, maybe I should take a pic next time).

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They don't feed the larva pure pollen or nectar. They mix it together. That is bee bread. Being next to larva, it doesn't last long. The little buggers eat a lot. If there is only a frame or two of larva, the workers may stockpile it faster than it gets eaten. Then it becomes a wall. I don't think bee bread is crumbly. It would be more like a paste. Crumbly MAY be pollen waiting to be mixed.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bee bread is a hard term to define since it's use is really quite loose. bee bread sometimes means that little bit of thin royal jelley fed to the workers and other times it is the 'pickled' (pollen + honey) pollen in the bottom of cells. I would think (again like Iddee) that pollen stored in the bottom of cells should be more pasty than crumbly since a bit of honey has been added to give it shelf life.

most of the problem I have previously discussed in regards to frames of pollen are 'solid' frames of pollen and not just partial frames or bits and pieces of pollen stored here and there. some of this 'problem' may be quite local since it does suggest that as a location this places produces great quantities of pollen but not so much nectar.