Bee Bread?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ski, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ski

ski New Member

Is it true that pollen patty and pollen sub is never made into bee bread?

I heard this at a Natural Beekeeping Workshop today.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bee bread is really pollen that has been 'pickled' and placed in storage in a frame for later use. evidently anyone that might make this statement has never really fed pollen 'type' patties. some does get stored.

I am not certain 'why' someone would make such a statement???

3. ski

ski New Member

Tec thanks for the response.
    Their theory is that that pollen sub and pollen patty is eaten directly by the young bees and never stored.
    An alarm went off in my head as soon as that statement was made but then I didn’t have any thoughts that I could fall back on to say that it does get stored. I just assumed it did. I have been feeding pollen sub for several weeks now so I will have to take a closer look the next time I am in the hives to see if any pollen sub has been “pickeledâ€.
    Thinking about it ANY blanket statement that says bees will or will never do something usually does not hold up.
    Anyway thanks again for your comment.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ski writes:
    I just assumed it did.

tecumseh:
    I think your assumption is correct.

there use to be a fellow named Frank on another forum (which will remained unnamed here just to protect the innocent and the guilty) that sold me my first box of pollen substitute some years ago at one of the ABF bee conventions. he had pictures (his own hives) that showed the substitute stored in frames. you could easily distinguish this from 'real pollen' by the color. when I fed the box here I noticed the same thing. it kind of work out to... when you fed bigger patties you saw more in the comb and when you fed smaller patties you saw less.