Bee club christmas party

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Dec 7, 2009.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's hard to believe it's christmas time already :confused: .The bee club is having our christmas party tonight (over a hundred members) We elect officers,have a good catered meal and gift exchange. They call your name and you go up to the gift table an pick one out (they are wraped) everyone sees what you got when you unwrap it, and if they like what you got better than what they got they challenge you and you have to sing a christmas carol to keep what you got, if not you have to give your gift up and take theirs :mrgreen: . Lots of fun. We also set up plans (subject and teacher) for our free bee school for anyone who wants to learn about beekeeping.We have 150 signed up for our Jan. and Feb. classes Hope all of you belong to a bee club (If not get one going) and i hope i don't draw a gift i really want because i can't sing and if i tried everyone would leave :wave: . Merry Christmas. Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ours is tomorrow night. We do the dinner and pass out raffle tickets. Then we draw numbers for each gift until all have "won" one. Elections were last month for the upcoming year, and the school is planned by a committee at a different time. Strictly food and fun tomorrow night. No business allowed.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We meet on the 4th tues. of every month except for Dec. and we call the christmas party our last meeting and the only buisness is the election of club officers. This year we've had such a surge in people wanting to learn about beekeeping we are going to have a Dec. club meeting (4th tues.) also to make arrangements. Our meeting place is at the main libary in Sprgfld. Mo. and will only accommodate about 175 people, so with 150 signed up (our secretary just informed me we now have 198) and if they all show up (usually only 60%) plus reg. members, we have a problem. Jack

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

None of the clubs I belong too have a Christmas party. :(

I love the gift exchange and trade system. Sounds like a blast.

Have fun!

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well 81 out of the 109 members showed up at the christmas party. Our club secretary announce we now have 216 people signed up for our beekeeping classes.( I can't figure out the sudden interest in beekeeping) An employee at the libary said the fire code rated the meeting room at 175 people but it will hold 300 very easy. Said if we posted people for fire watch they would over look the rule if needed.Hope all of you have a merry christmas and all your bees make it through the winter. Jack

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Intrest has picked up in bee keeping because they now have hive at the WHITE HOUSE. Have you ever noticed the intrest in a breed of dog or cat picks up after there is one in the white house?
    as far as singing for the gift I would arrive singing a christmas song and drive every one out and collect all the gifts. Keep what I wanted and leave what I didn't want. My singing isn't for the faint of heart.

:mrgreen: Al

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Al,

Hadn't thought of that. My wife said that the interest in vegetable gardening has increased, and we just attributed it to the economy. That's probably part of it, but a White House garden is probably a major contributor to the increase.

Walt

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am glad the "Jones" are trying to keep up with us red neck country boys now. :lol: :lol:

G3

9. the kid

the kid New Member

Al I'll tell you now ,, if I was at the same meeting you were singing at ,, and I started singing ,, I would even clear you out of the building .. I cann't carry a tone in a rain barrel ... when I sing around the bees , they attack me ..

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Tom your suppost to humm around the bees. Didn't any one ever teach you that?
    They some times fly up and hum in harmoney with me. Kare doesn't think much of that either.

:mrgreen: Al

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I always go home with the ugly gift nobody wants because i don't think they deserve a voice like mine :mrgreen: .This year when they wanted to see what i got i held up 3 pairs of jersey gloves and (lied) i told them they were all left handed gloves. One little girl came over and tried the left hand glove on and said they were to big and she would keep her butter warmer. (what's a butter warmer for?) anyway i got to keep my gloves. :thumbsup: Jack

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

OK, got my couriosity (sp?) up. Checked out Amazon and they have several "butter warmers". The one that had the best reviews was essentailly a 1 pint sauce pan for heating butter. Apparently the pan is thicker than normal and helps prevent burning butter when cooking. Only $50.

Wouldn't work for me. The only cooking I do with butter is speading it on biscuits and bread :D

Walt

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It was in a small box and looked like a tin cup with 4 leges on it and had a place for a candle to fit in under it. It wasn't what your talking about we have a $10.00 limit on the gifts. :thumbsup: I'm glad she decided to keep it,i'm like you i like to spread my butter on cornbread and buscuits not pour it on. :mrgreen: Jack

14. aromaworks

aromaworks New Member

This is amazing! Best part no burning your fingers while trying light them!!!

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's that time of year again,can you believe it. :eek: Our christmas party is on Tues. Dec. 6, 2011, 6:00pm. At the last club meeting 75 said they would be there and we always have 20 or so that don't come to all the meetings,but do come to the party :thumbsup: My favorite singers are the children,they are fighters and when they get a gift they like,even the bashful ones will sing to keep it, and most are good singers. :mrgreen: We have 75 signed up for the bee school coming in Jan. and several more that singed up over the internet our club secretary reported at the last club meeting. We are outgrowing the room at the libary and are looking for another meeting sight.Jack
    PS. kids can be mean, they will challenge a horriible singer for there gift, put there hands over there ears and hide uder the table laughing knowing the rest of us are going to have to listen to them sing. :shock:

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

all sounds like alot of fun, shame I dont think theres a bee group of any kind anywhere near me.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we will do our Christmas bee club meeting on December 8. we exchange gag gifts and everyone has a good time and them germans down in Brenham sure know how to set a good table.

much like Jack's story we have had an explosion in our bee school attendance. enough so that this year we will move it from our president's house to the Washington County fairgrounds. at this point I expect attendance will be in excess of 200 people... could approach 300 with the proper advertisement.