bee crazy nightmares

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beewitched, Mar 28, 2012.

1. beewitched

beewitched New Member

I haven't actually gotten my bees yet. They arrive mid April. I've been wanting bees for years, the husband recently jumped on board. We've been reading and watching everything we could regarding beekeeping. We may actually agree on many techniques that we've seen, but if you set us down together he'd disagree with me just because he gets a kick out of seeing me get riled up. Right-so now I've started having weird dreams about our bees.
    In the first one I'm sitting in the car with him. He's all excited about this package of bees he's holding in his hands. I'm confused because it's dark outside, clearly night, and we're supposed to pick them up at 6am from the post office. He said " Don't worry, I've been reading about what to do in this case." From the moment he says that I want to argue but I don't. He takes this package, opens it, grabs my purse and just starts dumping all the bees in. I'm sitting there shaking my head and asking him if he's crazy. I said, "How in the world are they suppose to live in a purse?" His reply is "They do need food." So he dumps some syrup on top of them, then zips it up. He gives the queen to me to hold. I get home and I've got a leaking purse full of dead bees.
    In the second dream, I hear this loud 'thud' on our doorstep and hear a vehicle pulling out of our driveway and speeding pretty fast down our gravel road. I look out- it was our mailman's black truck. He's left this huge box on our doorstep. I open it, and it's got 4 packages of bees in it that are all dead. There's a small note inside that reads- 'Sorry, all your bees died in transit'.
    This is really NOT that different from the dreams that mothers have before their children are born. :shock:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No more pickles and cheese before bedtime for you! :lol:

(I always dream like crazy when I do that.)

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Yikes!
    My prescription for you:
    Go on youtube right now and watch about 40 minutes of videos featuring kittens, puppies, bunnies, and baby ducks doing cute things. This will help.

4. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Haha... eww.. pickles and cheese might not stay down long enough for me to worry about dreaming, PerryBee. I'm guessing it's just nerves. I'm worrying that we're going to mess everything up from being inexperienced. It feels a little like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid, though. You get your house all decorated (hives put together and painted) now I'm just counting the days. The closer it gets the slower they are. Omie, You are right. I'm going to get off here and go feed my chickens and garden. Way better than watching them on youtube.

-Thanks for the replies!

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Not to discourage you, but you WILL mess up. We all did. We dropped frames of bees. We squished queens. We drowned thousands of bees with leaky feeders. We did all kinds of stupid things. It's all part of the fun and excitement of learning to be a beekeeper.

If it helps, think of your first colony as your "learning" colony, similar to a med-school student having a cadaver to practice on. The thing that surprised me the most my first year was how how resiliant the bees were, and that they managed to survive my clumsy attempts at being a beekeeper.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Well really both dreams tie into each other.
    1. In the first dream the bees get into your pocket book. Trust me they will
    2. In the second you get 4 packages. So that meens that you are hopeless already and will have many more than one hive.
    Glad to know I'm not alone

7. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Well, I- I mean " we" finally got "Our" bees. I'm sure my husband's laughing now because it seems they're also called "his" girls or "his" bees. - I just remind him that it was my idea and my initial research. I told him if he keeps this up I'll just call our next two packages (arriving at the end of this month) "MY" bees, and he can handle "his" bees all by himself. Besides, I really don't know if bees can be shared. :grin:

It was terribly exciting, I hived my happy bees with no problem. My husband banged his around a little more and fed his a little less. He had grumpier Russians. :wink: He he. He helped me install one package. I helped him install the other. Both of us got a sting from the grumpy girls. Hmm.. Oh! and I had a bee get under my shirt. That was fun. She didn't sting me, husband got a laugh at me wandering around out in the woods trying to find it under my shirt before she got frustrated and decided to.

Indypartridge, thanks for reminding me about the messing up part. I think I was forgetting that I can't prepare for everything and I can't "know" all the information I will need to learn about beekeeping ahead of time. I just have to relax and rely on the bees to do what comes instinctively. Plus keep in mind what I've read and watched. Then when things are going great or horrible, I'm stumped, confused, frustrated etc.. I'll be here bugging you all. :razz:

Bsweet, You are definitely NOT alone. They've taken a big dip into our pocket. My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary late because we're getting an extractor. Neither one of us is complaining. (that probably should be a sad thing:roll: ) We're ultimately doing this to help the family. So, we just keep the long term goals in mind. It doesn't hurt as bad then.

We're getting a total of 4 packages. We had an extra hive because my husband wanted to try and capture a swarm. Interestingly enough, the house we use to live in, now vacant- right down the road, from us, had a swarm move in. That's giving him a chance to try a trap out. If everything goes well, we'll have 5 hived soon.

Here's some pics (if this works)...
    http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/Melissaegardens/DSCN0796.jpg
    http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/Melissaegardens/DSCN0790.jpg
    http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/Melissaegardens/DSCN0794.jpg

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It doesn't look like your husband read my posts on trapouts.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/1780-So-you-want-to-do-a-trapout

" I then set the catch box where the
    "porch" area can be slid against the plywood cone mount, an inch or
    two below the bottom of the wire cone.I want the bees to walk from the
    cone mount to the box, not fly."

"The position of the exit in the cone has no bearing on the trapout, as
    we aren't catching the bees as they leave, but rather when they return
    from the field, loaded with pollen and/or nectar. They will return to
    the base of the cone, where they have always entered.
    The relationship of the base of the cone to the entrance where the
    brood frame sits is the detail you need to be conscious of, not the
    exit."

9. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Iddee, Thank you. He read your links and moved things closer. He said he felt stupid. He had to leave to pick up a queen, but he's going to post more on it this evening. Hopefully some pics on what it looks like now, too.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, a stupid person would have said, "" I don't need no help"".

A smart person listens to all, then does a combo that fits him or her.

11. beewitched

beewitched New Member

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

He's still trying to catch them as they leave the house. You catch them when they come home, not when they leave. Here's how I set it.

[​IMG]

13. beewitched

beewitched New Member

When he saw your pic he finally got it. He rearranged the box and screen (purchased a different type as well). now, they're in the box and much more calm than what they were before. He's back on his work schedule which doesn't give him much time to post, So I wanted to say thanks for all the help, Iddee.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you got the trap out going your way now.

15. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Yes, I'm just glad they didn't all decide to just pack up and leave. I guess they knew we were new at this and let him give it another try.