Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dontknow: American Bee Journal or Bee Culture? Or another?

I'm sure many of you subscribe to both, but if you had to choose, which would it be and why?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ford or Chevy? :p

I am a member of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association, and get a discount on both. As far as preference, I don't prefer one over the other. Both are good sources of information.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I get something up here called "Hivelights", part of being a member of the Canadian Honey Council (through membership to the Nova Scotia Beeks Assoc.)
Don't know anything about the two magazines you mention, but I assume they only deal with USA honeybees. ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
ABJ is the only one I'm getting. It deals with canadian beekeeping as well. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Right now I only get BC,I've read a few ABJ and I think they're pretty much the same just different articles.

I have to agree with Intheswamp that BC is less cerebral than ABJ and better for the newbee to start with.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I have taken both for many years, I like the Jerry Hayes Q&A part in ABJ. The BC mag. isn't as good as it once was when Richard Taylor (he passed away) wrote for them. I still take both and they both have good info. at times. Flip a coin would be my answer. :mrgreen: Jack

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with Brooksbee, I currently receive them both and get great information from each. The way I see it the more I can learn the better! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I kind of lean more towards bee culture. I tend to think Bee Culture is geared more towards the hobbiest. ABJ I look at as more of a sideliner or commercial suited mag.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
riverrat said:
I kind of lean more towards bee culture. I tend to think Bee Culture is geared more towards the hobbiest. ABJ I look at as more of a sideliner or commercial suited mag.
Thank you everyone! :thumbsup:
Well, I picked up a copy Bee Culture last night to compare with my complimentary copy of ABJ that I got a while back. I agree with you RR, ABJ appears to be written more like a periodical compared to BC. I'll probably start with BC until I get more time and experience under my belt and then maybe add ABJ later.

·
Registered
728 Posts
For info

A few years ago, I did a similar compare before you buy. I opted for a mailed copy of BC. The overseas mailed service of BC was very erratic. I opted for the digital version when it came out --- much more reliable. Maybe its time I had another look at ABJ.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
brooksbeefarm said:
BC, still has erratic mailing service, and that's here in the US. :roll: Jack

very true

1 - 13 of 13 Posts