Bee Culture or ABJ?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Indiana Dave, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

:dontknow: American Bee Journal or Bee Culture? Or another?

I'm sure many of you subscribe to both, but if you had to choose, which would it be and why?

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Ford or Chevy? :p

I am a member of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association, and get a discount on both. As far as preference, I don't prefer one over the other. Both are good sources of information.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I get something up here called "Hivelights", part of being a member of the Canadian Honey Council (through membership to the Nova Scotia Beeks Assoc.)
    Don't know anything about the two magazines you mention, but I assume they only deal with USA honeybees. ;)

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm a newbee. To me ABJ seems more technical than BC does. BC seems to have more "hands on" types of articles than ABJ does. Both are good magazines with good information in them.

Ed

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

ABJ is the only one I'm getting. It deals with canadian beekeeping as well. I enjoy it.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Right now I only get BC,I've read a few ABJ and I think they're pretty much the same just different articles.

I have to agree with Intheswamp that BC is less cerebral than ABJ and better for the newbee to start with.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have taken both for many years, I like the Jerry Hayes Q&A part in ABJ. The BC mag. isn't as good as it once was when Richard Taylor (he passed away) wrote for them. I still take both and they both have good info. at times. Flip a coin would be my answer. :mrgreen: Jack

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I agree with Brooksbee, I currently receive them both and get great information from each. The way I see it the more I can learn the better! :thumbsup:

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I kind of lean more towards bee culture. I tend to think Bee Culture is geared more towards the hobbiest. ABJ I look at as more of a sideliner or commercial suited mag.

10. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Thank you everyone! :thumbsup:
    Well, I picked up a copy Bee Culture last night to compare with my complimentary copy of ABJ that I got a while back. I agree with you RR, ABJ appears to be written more like a periodical compared to BC. I'll probably start with BC until I get more time and experience under my belt and then maybe add ABJ later.

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

For info

A few years ago, I did a similar compare before you buy. I opted for a mailed copy of BC. The overseas mailed service of BC was very erratic. I opted for the digital version when it came out --- much more reliable. Maybe its time I had another look at ABJ.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

BC, still has erratic mailing service, and that's here in the US. :roll: Jack

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

very true