Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that was doing just fine all last year and until about two days ago. Then, I noticed that there was no activity so I opened it up and found 4 frames which the attached picture can describe. I need to know what it is and what do I need to do to reset the hive so I can start it again. I have another new hive just starting and will start another new one in two weeks. I just don't want this to happen to them as well. Hopefully someone can provide me with some answers.

James Jordan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
looks like one of the viruses associated with varroa mites?: What part of the world are you in? climate, freezing, starvation can also be issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Apparently they did freeze. We had temperatures around 3 degrees for a week or so. I had opened the lid when it was over and thought there were fine. Whatever activity I saw was from robber bees and not the hive. I live in central Texas so it was a rather unexpected two weeks of cold weather. Again, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
I lost a hive that week too. My larger hives are ok, but low numbers can't form a large enough cluster to rotate and share the heat. I lost my small hive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts