bee equipment

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by G3farms, Feb 26, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

>>>am I missing something<<<
    Bees!

Not sure about the venom collector (I just use my hands, arms, legs).

Sounds like you are ray to jump right in, try finding a local bee keepers club near you. The old hands that are in them have tons of great info share and one might even mentor you.

Have you ever worked bees before?

G3

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So you have never been in a hive of bees before?

G3

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW! you are jumping right in. :yahoo:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just casually Sam I would think any connection between small scale and success would be extremely locally defined.

some products on this list are nice extra but are hardly essential.

for myself I would think the first 3 items in your list are essential. after this 'short list' essential should become somewhat defined by locality and purpose.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Well Sam, first off, without execption, your bees will not generate you the type of income that will allow you to buy that 12 room house in the country, tom park the newly purchased mercedes next to. Nice thought, now back to reality. Everything depends on 2 things, how you manipulate the hive, and the weather. propolis collectors, I have found that the tops of the frames are wonderful if annoying propolis collectors, Fume boards, simpler method for one hive is plastic bee escape in inner cover providing there is no brood inside the honey super will be vacated of all bees within 24 - 30 hours. Think in smaller steps, the rest will come in time, now within this hour, but within next few years as you learn. Solar melter is a good idea for cappings
    Barry :wave:

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

bee suits/ w veil and gloves
    smoker
    hive tool
    brush
    honey extractor
    solar wax melter
    hives or wooden frames
    bee escape
    feeders
    queen excluder's
    with this list your fine for 1 - 10 colonies. again fume boards are not needed and require e fumigent to drive the bees out not sure I need that inside my colonies bee escapes works passively and well again, unless you have brood in the supers, which if you paying attention to details using a queen excluder, won't happen

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you are starting from scratch (packages) then don't expect much of a honey crop until year two. so the fume board and extractor and wax melter are nice but likely non essential until year two (if then and only if you wish to extract the crop). for most new beekeepers not having an extractor will also reduce the temptation of taking a bit too much.

a few unwired frames with plain foundation appropriatly situated in the hive and a knife is likely all the first year bee keeper should 'expect' to remove as surplus honey. if things work out and you have a boomer year then your expectations will be more than fully realized. at reduced scale (numbers of hives) there are other ways to remove a crop other than by using an extractor.

a lot of bee clubs also have extractor that club members can use (sometimes free and sometimes rented).

8. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I'm six years into beekeeping and haven't bought a suit. I wear old white shirts from the resale shop (50 cents each).

Another item I don't have. I borrow one, as Tecumseh suggested.

Easily made from stuff you likely already have. Plenty of plans online. The thing to remember is, if you're just starting out, you won't have much to melt for some time.

I don't use either.

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Such a investment for just getting started.
    bee suits, just not needed, I know many a bee keeper that has theirs hanging on a hook in the honey house as they found them to hot in the summer. A light colored long sleeved shirt, long legged jeans, hat of some sort with a veil are all you need to start. May you really want to be a snow man wihite? buy a set of painters disposiable coveralls for less than $10.00.

smoker Yes you need one of those, we use our mister more though but the smker is on stand by.

hive toolYes you need one of those but I got by for the first 3 years with a flat screw driver I heated anbd bent the blade 90 degrees. The cheap aco hardware store 7 in one tool is still my handiest tool. Strong enuogh to open stubborn intercovers and the greatest scrapeing tool I own for removing burr comb and propplis. I think I paid $1.27 for it on sale.

bee brushWhen pulling honey it is my main tool I keep 4 of them as they get sticky brushing bees off frames of honey. I pulled honey off 85 colonies last year with just the brush to get bees off the frames.

honey extractorIf you have the money by all means buy one. Get it big enough it is still usefull when you expand some thing like 9 to 18 frames.

solar wax melter not really needed as small amounts of wax can be melted by setting a pan in the car in the sun with the windows rolled up or even the trunk.

hives or wooden frames A must have if you are going to have bees doing extracted honey .

fume boards Not needed at all, see bee brush above.

feeders You can spend lots of money for feeders and they all have disadvantages and advantages. we own bordman feeders bought we use in the nuc boxes. Other than that we use gallon jars we get at the local pizza shop for free, advantage is they are free and hold a gallon of syrup. disadvantage is you need a deep to place around them to keep them from the wind and robbing bees. We also use 2 gallon pails we get free from the local bakery. Same advantages and disadvantages as the jars.

queen excluder's Well OK then you can tell people you do own some. not really needed though.

:mrgreen: Al

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

We have 12 different bee yards, this is how we care for the smoker. a plug in the spout to smother it, and a box to put in so if it tips in the truck the bed mat doesn't catch on fire.

[​IMG]

My bee suit. I get stung on the tummy a lot.the girls are sucking the sweat off the shirt and I bend pinching them. A apron would fix that I think.

[​IMG]

A feeder jar on a split hive.

[​IMG]

Our bee suits and 2 gallon feeder.

[​IMG]

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

al writes:
    and a box to put in so if it tips in the truck the bed mat doesn't catch on fire.

tecumseh:
    add to the bed mat the local community or your neighbor's hay.

kind of funny they didn't add a box to stow the smoker in as essential equipment?

ps... I have a great variety of bee suits here that on occasions are nice to hive (like a full suit of armor and zip on veil when it comes to the industrial splitting of hives in the spring) but most of the time with the replacement of Al's helmet with a cowboy hat (Stetson if you wish to make a reasonable fashion statement in the bee yard here) the way I dress looks almost exactly like Al's.

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I use the mesh helmit so air can keep the top of my head cooler. I tried a old snap brim that worked but being a gray I felt my head was going to explode from the heat build up.

I told kare I was going to buy one of those plastic ones and take a hole saw to it, then add screen so I would really have a vented helmit. She was worried some one would see me in it. Women see fashion different than men and me petickler. What women waste on fashion in a year would keep a family of 4 in food for several years. I won't even touch the make up subject except to say, My kare is beautiful and doesn't wear that crap. See the above picture.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I wore a helmet and quare veil for years and bought a dadant jacket and hood (I am not knocking it in the least, very well made product), too hot for me in the summer, I will be going back to the helmet and square veil. I over heat quick and sweat profusely anyways, being too hot with sweat in your eyes makes beekeeping not so enjoyable for me. The reason I bought the jacket is the helmet liner broke, guess I will pop rivet an old hard hat suspension in it.

G3

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I also sweat bad. In fact I get stung several times a year by bees collecting sweat off my tummy and I bend pinching them. for the eyes I went to a sporting goods store and bought 5 head bands which I rotate as the day goes along. Of course they need washing evey night after use,they dry quickly.