Bee Escape or Fume Board?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Jul 26, 2012.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Being a first time beek I would like opinions on using a bee escape vs. fume boards to get the ladies out of the super? Also I bought the little bee escape, but do you need a special board for that or can you just put it on the inner cover. Also do you put the bee escape below the intended super? Thanks, Halley

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you use the fume board, use Fischer's bee-quick. NOT honey robber or bee-go.

If you use the escape, it goes under the super you are harvesting. If there is a crack under the lid, other hives will empty the super for you. If there are SHB in the area, they will destroy the honey before you get it. If it is 90 plus Fahrenheit, the honey may melt.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I have a triangle bee escape, worked pretty good last year and I plan to use it again. I like not using chemicals for that. After 24 hours only about 5 bees were left in the super.

Make sure there are NO entrances above the escape though, or you'll be feeding your precious honey to all the bees in the neighborhood.

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've had good results doing this.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Using a bee escape means two trips to the bee yard versus one trip if using a fume board.

I use neither. Having only a half-dozen colonies, I take an empty super and towel. I open a hive, pull a frame of honey, give it a quick shake (over the hive) to get most of the bees off, flick the rest off with a brush, put it in the empty super, cover with towel and repeat. Once you get a rhythm, it only takes about 15-20 seconds per frame.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have used this simple method a lot, but now that I have more hives I use triangle bee escapes (mind you, we don't have SHB here yet). My hives are not that far and I don't mind the 2 trips, especially when the second trip is relatively easy bee wise (not back wise). :lol:

7. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Great..thanks for your answers....I had planned on using the Fisher's Bee Quik(if I used the fume board). Halley

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A lot depends on your time frame. Escape boards are relly nice---calm and quiet work, but they require that you plan things out in advance. Fume boards let you decide NOW if you want to take off the honey and ten minutes later it's all yours. Either way, if you work well, the job can be done with almost no excitement. I've used Indy's method many times, but It's always accompanied by a lot of excitement in the hives.
    I try to make honey removal a bit less a cause for excitement on the part of the bees by putting an empty (preferrably, with wet combs) super under the honey super before shaking off the bees. When they go into the empty/wet frames, they are less determined to follow the frames you remove.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Made this one today.

bee escape 2.JPG bee escape 1.JPG

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Very nice--shows how an escape board can be the epitome of simplicity. Now you have the pleasure of productivity. When you use it you'll enjoy it even more. :thumbsup:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Being a first time beek I would like opinions on using a bee escape vs. fume boards to get the ladies out of the super?

tecumseh:
    I myself use fume boards and Fisher's Bee Quick works just fine for me. a limitation to fume boards is these require either heating up the board or a good sunny and warm day to work well. fisher's bee quick requires a slightly higher temperature than the other two options (which one of my home boys here tell me smells a bit like vomit). another option is a leaf blower which will always work at very much lower temperature but does require a bit of practice and generally some kind of stand to set the super on as you blow out the bees.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Dave, let me know how those work out for you. I build the kind with a "triangle" within a "triangle" and they work great. (harder to build though). Yours looks much simpler and if it is as effective, the way to go.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Sure will Perry. I should be ready to use them in a week. I saw the double triangle design also. I copied this design from a fella online who showed a video of his in action. It seemed to work out well. We shall see.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

15. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Thanks for the link to the previous bee escape discussion. Where can I get a triangle bee escape board(Mann Lake didn't have one). Thanks Halley

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

$14.95 up here! :shock:

18. mdunc

mdunc New Member

same here....:thumbsup:

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I use neither. Having only a half-dozen colonies, I take an empty super and towel. I open a hive, pull a frame of honey, give it a quick shake (over the hive) to get most of the bees off, flick the rest off with a brush, put it in the empty super, cover with towel and repeat. Once you get a rhythm, it only takes about 15-20 seconds per frame.

tecumseh:
    very old school but works just fine with a limited number of hives and all the equipment you need is a bee brush and an extra shell. for most folks starting out this is the simple and more traditional way of getting bees out of a box of honey and if you ever watched Ulee's Gold I think this was how they were taking bees off the hives at the front side of the movie.

20. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member