Bee Escapes

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Larus, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

I am planning to extract honey from my honey supers next week. I bought those "bee escape" little plastic inserts that go into the hole of the inner cover. I plan to put a bee escape into an extra inner cover, and stick that between the supers and the upper brood chamber. How many hours before taking off the supers should I do that? 12? 24? 36? 48?

Thank you.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It could take a day, even two. If you start the bees moving down with smoke it might help. If there is any way for pests or robbers to get in while the super is unprotected, they will.

3. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

I used a fume board for the first time this year. I was surprised at how quickly it worked & how effective it was. I'll not be without one in the future.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like americasbeekeeper said, i quit using bee escapes when hive beetles arrived, i have used the fume boards for the last three years, they work great and fast, but the lingering smell is not so great. :roll: Jack

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Brushy Mountain Bee Farm markets a product that has the same effect as "Bee Go" but without the smell. They call it Natural Honey Harvester, it's catalog #474. Mann Lake Ltd also markets a product-Honey Robber-sizes from a pint to a 55 gal. drum, it's on page 62 of their latest catalog. I haven't tried either of these products, but thought I would pass the info. along.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like several others here I am not a fan of escape boards. I would guess 'they must have' worked for someone, but they certainly never worked for me. I would suggest you invest in the smallest bottle of bee quick available. it is really not that expensive but I don't think the shelf life is that great either.... storing in a dark cool place that doesn't freeze likely extends it's shelf life (greater than one year).

bee go is pretty nasty smelling and shipping (I think perhaps it is listed as a hazardous chemical) is difficult. bee quick doesn't smell so lovely either but it is shippable and the ingredients are natural. since both choice rely on ambient temperature to fume (on a fume board) they are temperature dependent. seem to me bee go will work down to a slightly lower temperature than bee quick.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

efmesch seems to suggest in another thread that he is a 'they must have worked for someone' guy.

ps.. I suspect like Jack suggest above that bee escapes may be locational dependent... that is they work in some places but not so good in other places.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Bee go has been on my shelf for several years---I think it is still effective but the one or two times I used it pretty much turned me of. I felt like running away just like the bees did :mrgreen:
    Nobody seems to have mentioned it, so I will brave the stating of it: Bee go smells like vomit and extracting the honey taken off using it is a nauseating process. :shock:
    In its favor I will say, it is effective and the smell doesn't taint the honey in the long term.
    I think that one basic difference between use of fume boards in Israel and in the US is that here all the supers in use are deep supers. Chasing the bees out of medium or shallow supers with chemicals is probably easier and faster than I have found with the deeps.

I'll confess, I haven't used bee escapes often, but really, there's nothing like picking up a super totally empty of bees when it comes to working calmly and without stay-behinds coming into the honey house (which for me is my house too).
    As to the original question, Gary gave a good answer--1-2- days should be enough but make sure there are no unintended entrance holes.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I bought a quart of honey robber from Mann Lake, it works great even if the sun's not out :thumbsup: . It is shipped in a white plastic container with a screw on lid.Like tec. said it is considered a hazardous material. Honey robber is not supposed to stink as bad as bee go, well there nose must be different than mine. :lol: The stink doesn't bother the extracted honey but does lingerr on the comb honey i sell (haven't had any complaints, Yet :D ) in plastic containers. One thing i have found more this year than others, that the the supers above the queen excluders have a little patch of drone brood on the bottom of the middle frames (i cut it out before i extract the honey)it had to be the work of a laying worker.If there is any type of brood in the honey super, the nures bees won't leave. I have went back to the bee brush on the comb honey supers because the lingering smell can make customers loose their appetite. :lol: Jack

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I tried a bee escape for the first time this week, i had two supers to be removed , put it on on Wed, and removed the supers yesterday.

It got rid of about 90% of the bees, the few that remained were busy chasing beatles. I put the supers standing upright on my deck after sunset and the few bees flew home.
    Then into the freezer to kill off any bugs

I will probably use it again.

My experience with bee quik was about the same , never got rid of all the bees, but I do have an idea to maybe make it work better....

11. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Here is a picture of one of my home made escapes.

Clears box's real good, IF no brood, disadvantage, it requires placing a day or two before.

[​IMG]

Murrell

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

efmesch writes:
    nobody seems to have mentioned it, so I will brave the stating of it: Bee go smells like vomit and extracting the honey taken off using it is a nauseating process.

tecumseh:
    I have used it on deeps and it does smell exactly as you have described. after a long day of pulling honey when you stop in some lonely country store for a cold drink everyone gives you a disgusting look and clears a path for you to quickly exit the premises.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The triangle bee escapes like Murrell's have worked well for me, too, but we don't have the beetle issues (knock wood) here that some have to deal with. There are usually a few bees left, but not too many.

14. Larus

Larus New Member

We don't have hive beetles here yet (knock on wood), and I'd rather avoid foul-smelling liquids if I can help it, especially if the smell lingers on the honey. Like brooksbeefarm said, it can make people reluctant to buy the honey - I'd have to convince them somehow that the smell isn't permanent.
    I'll put the bee escapes on 48 hours ahead of taking off the supers, and see how it goes.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do inform us of not only how it works and what kind of bee escape you use.

ps... I have never really had any complaints from customers in regards to any lingering smell with bee quick (which is what I have been using in the most recent past). on occasion I do get a whif of the stuff when I return from a yard with honey headed to the honey house but the smell is really not offensive.

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I can say the supers that i extract have the lingering smell, but after the honey is extracted and put in jars i don't detect a bad smell.The comb honey supers i put in the deep freeze is a different story,after 48 hrs in the freezer and you open the lid it's like it just came off the hive, Woooeeeee, my wife says it gives her a headache :confused: .After i cut it out of the frames and put it in the plastic sandwich box it's not that noticeable. (if at all) I then take the extracted supers and set them on the picnic table for the bees to clean up and air out. After two days they don't stink. :thumbsup: Jack

17. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have never had issues with bee escapes, usually honey supers are evacuated within 30 hours totally

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tomorrow I plan on putting bee escapes on. I'll try to report on how it goes.
    One of my considerations for doing it with escapes is because taking off the honey supers is a very calm process with escapes. ;) Since my hives are near my house and that of my neighbors, I have to keep their best interests in mind too. The excitement among the bees of other methods carries too much potential hazard with it. :cry:

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How did it go for you? What are your comments on this method now that you've tried it?

20. milapostol

milapostol New Member

We use the type of escape similar to Murrell. Seems to work good for us too. It takes about a day, and I like that there are 3 ways to get out rather than one. I do check, though, for stuck bees.