Bee Extermination

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hawkster, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Or, you could just locate a beekeeper who could do a removal. Beeswax is highly flammable. I question the logic of the writers of that article.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What they are talking about are hornets. They are too dumb to know what bees are. Maybe a lawsuit when someone's house burns down will teach them the difference.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

LOL, felony stupidity and what iddee said.......

"The protective clothing should be fire retardant since you will be handling fire."

"Consider Freezing Beehive

If any of the tips provided in this article seem to be a bit much to accomplish without setting your house on fire or creating a fire hazard for the neighborhood, go to a home and garden store and purchase a product that will freeze the beehive instead. This product is used for beehives and wasp nests and is probably a better route to go rather than setting a torch to your highly flammable beehive. "

takes all kinds, and sad but true people read this garbage and attempt it.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Lets add up the cost 1 fire retardant suit with protective head gear, 1 fire extinguisher and recharge if you do not have one. A propane torch, and if it doesn't work a canister of liquid nitrogen to frees them. All that will be much cheaper than hiring a professional. In the link they are talking about wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets. If soneone did set a colony of honey bees on fire once the wax started to burn you would need more than a small fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Anything that starts out: "hold my beer and watch this" can't be good.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

apis,
    in my professional experience lets re-add up the cost:
    "1 fire retardant suit with protective head gear"..... what's that?
    "1 fire extinguisher and recharge if you do not have one."....... never had one or a charged water hose (wouldn't have mattered).
    "A propane torch". had one or more of these that worked very well.
    "much cheaper than hiring a professional"......?

as beekeeper's we are much smarter than others about lighting up beehives and wasp's nest's.....

usually lit it up with gasoline, more gas is better. gas on the clothing, gas spilled in the area. light it up, gas fumes travel and will explode some distance away. person lighting it up, any nearby flammable material, grass, shed, deck, house....poof....gone.

and as you pointed out " If soneone did set a colony of honey bees on fire once the wax started to burn you would need more than a small fire extinguisher to put out the flames. "

absolutely.

hire a 'professional' or seek better advice than this ridiculous website.

8. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

They are obviously talking about a hornets nest but still they are going to get someone hurt. First the hornets are not just going to wait around for you to be finished with your torching. Second you are going to end up with a fiery ball rolling around in the dry weeds. Maybe this article should be retitled How to Remove Hornets and clear your yard of vegetation. One the hive does fall it will be a free for all for the hornets. Amazingly they have no video demonstrating this method. Must have dropped the camera in the mad dash for the pond.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Is anyone a member of this Do It Yourself forum? Seems like someone should add a comment discouraging people from taking this advice and encouraging them to remove this topic from the forum. Some poor guy is going to get hurt.

10. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

I might join just to give them feedback

11. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

12. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

I especially like Honey bees are also a natural predator of many garden pests, such as lady bugs and soldier bugs"

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

and #7:

"Purchase old honeycomb frames or ask a local beekeeper if he has any he can give you. Place the frames near your flowers to attract bees. Honey bees love the honeycomb as a snack."
    :doh:

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You see the add banner across the top and down the side of the page? This is what generates their income. The more people that visit the page, the more money they receive for displaying the banner. They will display and post any crap as long as it has the ability to show up in a search so people will go to their site. They don't care about content! Only traffic.
    Crap on the web is why people that care, join and participate in forums giving timely accurate information on topics that they are passionate about.
    Thank Charles, Iddee and all the other moderators who keep us, On Line... and In Line... Thanks for giving us a place to hang out. ApisBees

15. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Apis is not even kidding. I built a web site several years ago, no longer have it online. For selling my pens. In the process I got to looking into how to promote the site and how to maximize it for searches and what not. I ended up on a couple of groups that where nothing but making web sites that woudl rank number one in searches. they didn't care what the content of the site was. It was like a contest to see who could get the highest rank int eh shortest amount of time. Not only that but there was money in it. If I where to take a web address and get it ranked int eh top ten. I can then sell that address to anyone to make any sort of content out of it they want. and the rank still holds. And they can sell for a lot of money if they have the right name.

For example what would some beekeeprs pay for Honey(dot)com? What would they pay for it if it came up as number one is a search for honey? And yes it is already in use and does not come up in searches. What a waste of a great address.

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"For example what would some beekeeprs pay for Honey(dot)com? What would they pay for it if it came up as number one is a search for honey? And yes it is already in use and does not come up in searches. What a waste of a great address. "

honey.com
    national honey boards website.....