Beekeeping Forums banner

bee funnel

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bens-Bees 
#1 ·
is anyone familiar with a device called a bee funnel-its used to remove bees from human homes and has a
one way exit so bees can't re-enter the way they came out-I need one, does anyone know who supplies these or where I can find plans and material to build one-thanks

#3 ·
You should also be aware that it is not as easy as just putting up a funnel. The queen will not leave, generally, and the bees will keep trying to return. Even if you manage to get rid of the bees, you will still have comb, honey, and brood inside the wall.

You may want to read some of the posts under "Trap-Outs". I see iddee has posted a link to a good one just before the photos.

#4 ·
Not exactly true that the queen will not leave. She and some of the new nurse bees will abscond, since there is not any food coming into the hive and there is not enough nurse bees to cover the brood. She will start to slow down on laying eggs also. Once all of the bees have left the hive (queen and what few workers are left. You can remove the trapout cone and now the newly trapped out bees will rob the old hive of honey. Pretty much all that will be left is comb, pollen and some dead brood.

Read up on Iddee's post, he goes into great detail for a successful trap out.

G3

#6 ·
If you start the trap-out in EARLY spring they also won't have a lot of honey stored to begin with which makes it much easier to do the trap-out without leaving a mess behind...

As far as making the funnels is concerned... here's what I do... I get some wire window screen ($3 at any home store), roll it into a funnel shape with a hole on the small side only being about the diameter of a standard pencil. Then I pull a few strands of wire off the end that are running horizontal around the small hole... that leaves little wire fingers pointing outward, bend them inward... the bees exiting can easily push open the wires to leave, but bees trying to enter can not get through. Glue the large side of the cone around the entrance with some caulk and set up a bait hive and you're good to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.