Bee Gloves for Removal tip

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Gypsi, May 8, 2019.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I had to pick up a new pair of bee gloves quickly as the opportunity to get the bees out of my neighbor's house had arrived, they are about to demo the living room back to the studs in a renovation. The bees were entering between first and 2nd floor, the northwest side of the house.

Well, I got a pair of ventilated goatskin gloves. Now this is a hot bunch of bees.

They killed off 5 of my cutout hives last year and caused me to place my favorite hive at an outyard the year before (still lost the DNA, queen didn't lay last spring as my homeowner decided not to feed the bees and there wasn't as much forage as we thought, but that's another story.)

Anyway, the owners of the house say it has had bees off and on for the last 20 years, while I suspect the occupants died in the 2010 die off around here, (a bad removal and poisoned honey wiped out everything) any swarm I lost could have reoccupied the comb. But I felt fairly confident, my ladder was a good reach, initial discovery put the bees right by where they were coming in, and I started cutting out comb.

Saturday morning. they are hot. They are really hot. Smoke isn't helping all that much (yes opened a window). They were stinging me through the goatskin. After 5 .5 hours I had about 40 stings per hand, with less venom than I'd have received without gloves but still quite a bit.

I found that they had colonized the western overhang under the floor upstairs which sticks out past first floor wall. (see photo). Reaching up in there they were really getting me.

My Tip: if goatskin gloves get a couple of layers of nitrile underneath. They simply are not thick enough for removals.

oh and the outcome. I set up a couple of bait hives in my apiary. I have all but 2 combs I think, most of their honey, 9 frames of brood, the beevac bees staged an escape the next day so I put the brood on top of one of my hives, and there was a ball on outside of the house Monday. They went inside overnight, new ball Tuesday morning, set up another bait hive. I think they will abscond, certainly bait hives are being inspected. After abscond, a cedar beam flush over the entrance and heavily caulked and I'll go in and get the rest of the comb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pic taken just before I left on Saturday afternoon. Bees on side of house pic, Monday

2. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

That is absolutely amazing!! We don't get many swarms but that seems a huge task. Love the photo.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It's warmer here. we get swarms and we get houses sharing a roof with bees