Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here.

There is a bee hive inside of an exterior hollow block wall of my house. The construction is called slump block, hollow bricks approximately 4h, 14w, 6d. I would like to get them into a box in my yard. I just purchased my home, a duplex, and the building inspector suggested I seal the opening! Not OK. I do not mind having them there, but the hive is on the rental side. I don't think tenants will feel the same way as I do. Also I am somewhat concerned with the possibility of damage to the wall.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First, honeybees do NO structural damage to wood or masonry.

Second, to get them out, you must have a frame of eggs and larva to go in the catch hive before they will go to it. Can you find a local beek who will sell or give you a frame from one of his hives?

Third, go here and read all the links and watch the video.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1488

Fourth, come back here and ask more questions. We will be glad to help.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Hello cutter and welcome to the forum :wave:

A trap out is what you will want to do, just follow Iddee's advice as linked above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I'm sure I could have found that info in the search, had I any idea what to look for. I will spend some time with the links you gave me. There is a local beekeeping supply. They have very irregular hours. If I can manage to to track them down I'm sure they will be able to help with any material needs.
Can you recommend any books or online resources for a total novice? I have always liked bees and would love for this colony to be my intro to urban bee keeping.

Thanks again.

Cutter.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I recommend the local library for books, "I'm stingy". :D
This forum is full of hobbyist, part timers, and commercial beeks who are more than glad to help in any way they can.

The local beeks and suppliers are a Godsend. Use them. Most are friendly and more than glad to help a new beek.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Welcome Cutter:
As far as online resources, you have found a good one here. :mrgreen:
Glad you found us.
I have found that any of the questions I have posted here usually get answered quite fast. It is very personable and friendly here and folks like to help out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts