Bee hive in hollow block wall. Can I get them to move?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by cutter, May 25, 2011.

1. cutter

cutter New Member

Hi, this is my first post here.

There is a bee hive inside of an exterior hollow block wall of my house. The construction is called slump block, hollow bricks approximately 4h, 14w, 6d. I would like to get them into a box in my yard. I just purchased my home, a duplex, and the building inspector suggested I seal the opening! Not OK. I do not mind having them there, but the hive is on the rental side. I don't think tenants will feel the same way as I do. Also I am somewhat concerned with the possibility of damage to the wall.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome to the forum.

First, honeybees do NO structural damage to wood or masonry.

Second, to get them out, you must have a frame of eggs and larva to go in the catch hive before they will go to it. Can you find a local beek who will sell or give you a frame from one of his hives?

Third, go here and read all the links and watch the video.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1488

Fourth, come back here and ask more questions. We will be glad to help.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello cutter and welcome to the forum :wave:

A trap out is what you will want to do, just follow Iddee's advice as linked above.

4. cutter

cutter New Member

Thank you. I'm sure I could have found that info in the search, had I any idea what to look for. I will spend some time with the links you gave me. There is a local beekeeping supply. They have very irregular hours. If I can manage to to track them down I'm sure they will be able to help with any material needs.
    Can you recommend any books or online resources for a total novice? I have always liked bees and would love for this colony to be my intro to urban bee keeping.

Thanks again.

Cutter.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I recommend the local library for books, "I'm stingy". :D
    This forum is full of hobbyist, part timers, and commercial beeks who are more than glad to help in any way they can.

The local beeks and suppliers are a Godsend. Use them. Most are friendly and more than glad to help a new beek.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Cutter:
    As far as online resources, you have found a good one here. :mrgreen:
    Glad you found us.
    I have found that any of the questions I have posted here usually get answered quite fast. It is very personable and friendly here and folks like to help out.