Bee House - Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by onehorse, Feb 23, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We have got to get our bees out of the wind and it is going to be a very difficult task on this piece of property. The bees do fine through the summer, but the winter wind can be bitter with 45+ miles wind gusts for days (not pretty when temps are running around 30 during the day and down in the teens and singles at night). The SO was reading up on bee houses and thinks that is the direction to go, we need to get a shed for his stuff anyway, so bee house would be an add on. Any recommendations, suggestions?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bee houses and bee wagons are much more common in Europe than here. I have no idea of what kind of problems they might present.

not particularly in regards to bee houses...
    where the wind is a problem (it can be quite a large problem up around the Texas panhandle where the wind always blow strongly) any kind of break from the cold wind is beneficial. some of the best and most natural wind breaks I have seen are large hay bales.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Lilo B., down in Boiling Springs has a bee house. She has family in Germany and once into bees, and a visit back home, she put her bees in a bee house.

I'll drop her a line (tomorrow) and let her know I'll be passing on her information, so you can call. I was with her last weekend at a bee conference and she is a good friend.

4. onehorse

onehorse New Member

From having horses for a number of years, hay bales can block the wind well, but they rot well too. There are a number of reasons why I don't want to use hay annually. The places that I know are out of the wind (behind the house and the barn) were buried in 6 - 8 ft of snow 2 weeks ago (I'm thinking suffocation, even with top entrances), and the only trees on the place are down in the flood plain. The best place we have come up with so far is the run-in shed, but with three obnoxious horses, I see problems there too. We have been racking our brains on this, but we are at a bit of a loss as to how to keep them here through the winter without some kind of serious wind break.

Bjorn that would be great! Thank you!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm no help on this, we don't have the snow to deal with and a good row of bushes or small patch of woods makes for a good wind break for this area.

Maybe you could just add a short lean-to to the back side of the run in shed.

G3

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like Bjorn has some reliable information to pass along in regards to bee houses.

and a question....

have you had any experience with snow fence like they use in the western states?

there have been over the years any number of ways people have overwintered bees in the northern states. folks would place them in enclosed shed and it was not so uncommon way back when Heck was a pup for folks to move hives into cellars* in the late fall and move them out again in the spring time. some folks in more recent times have even built thermally regulated barns for overwintering where (I am told) keeping the temperature interior to the building from building up too quickly in the spring is the primary concern. so yes, these spaces are not only heated but cooled.

*cc miller's 50 Years Among the Bees (titles doesn't sound exactly right) speaks of this enough in his early years of beekeeping that it suggest that the detail of cellar kept bees is not as simple as it may sound.

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Build a wind break. No building permit required (in Michigan) and cheaper than a building.

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Al