bee keeping and foul brood

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 10, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have been keeping bees for 5 years and have never experienced or been around a hive that has had foul brood. I was wondering how many actually have been around it. I know a few of the old school keeps that if they lose a hive they usually blame it on foul brood. Has anyone every had it and how long ago

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had it in 2008, for the first time in 30 plus years. Got it from buying out an old beekeeper. It was in 3 hives out of 44. Burned them and quarantined the rest until fall. Combined a few I was unsure about, but the combo made it through the winter and shows no sign of it this year.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

AFB has been running less than 4% of inspected hives in NY according 2 NYS Apiary Inspection Report last year. AFB in my outfit of almost 600 cols. runs under 2%. I burn it when I find it or, if it is a strong colony I shake the bees onto foundation and give them a chance to get started again. Having 2 draw wax makes them use up the honey in their system which puts whatever AFB spores might be in their system into the wax where it is out of reach. Therefore not going to infect new brood.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't know the current numbers.... but for a long time a good number for AFB+ hives held by commercial bee keepers moving bees into and out of Texas was 3%. I have seen a few mild cases which were eliminated by TM and requeening.

Over the past few years I have added a good deal of minnesota hygenic stock as a shield against AFB and as a mean of reducing use of TM. We will see how that goes?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have not had it in years, last time was in the late '80s, got about half of my hives. It is hard to burn it but is the best thing to do.
    Last year there was a pretty good outbreak of EFB according to the state man.

G3