Bee nuc 2020

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by MD_Plants, May 18, 2020.

1. MD_Plants

MD_Plants New Member

Hey yall!

Last year I got a nuc, but i got it pretty late in the season (almost august, which is late in Maryland). This year i picked one up in April. We're off to a much better start!

I initially put the frames in from the 5 frame nuc on one side of a 10 frame deep with 5 more on the other side that was empty. I then put an empty medium on top with just a 16 oz container of sugar syrup. I looked today after 11 days, and of course they took advantage of the empty room and built some comb in there. I took down the comb today, got rid of the empty nuc, and i moved some of the frames around so they alternated like E-F-F-E-F-E-F-E-F-E with F being frame and E being empty. Do you think this was a good decision? We've had a pretty good flow so far and tons of flowers. The rhododendrons are just coming into bloom so hundreds of those flowers should be available.

There are tons of drone cells and a lot of comb at the bottom of each frame. Im still really iffy with telling brood, nectar, and honey apart. I don't know why I just can't do it.

Does it seem like im on the right track? Was it a good idea to switch the frames around?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

NO..bees are very organized..how would you like it if someone came into your house and moved all your furniture and belongings all over your house and didnt tell you where anything is..whenever I do a hive inspection I take extra care to put the frames in just as they came out..LEAVE it alone now the damage has been done, the less you disturb the bees the better off they will be...at this point just feed lots of sugar water and let them fill in the hive the way THEY want to...

Gypsi likes this.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bob got your answer while I was off cleaning ponds. I got advised to checkerboard a hive once - it went badly and I've never done it since