Bee Package Implementation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

When putting your package bee's into the hive, once the queen is removed, do you empty the bee's into the hive or open the package and place it in the hive to disperse on their own? If letting disperse on their own how long do you wait beofre removing the package and replacing the frames?

Is it necessary to confine the bee's for a certain amount of time after being placed in the hive so they can familiarize themselves with their new surroundings or do you just add the reducer letting them come & go as they please?

I am picking the packages up on the 23rd of this month.....

Thanks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can do it either way. Some beeks dump them, others set the cage in the hive until the next day. Others dump partly and then set the cage in the hive. It all works.

The bees don't need confining. Just let them fly. The cluster smell will keep them there.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

You can do it either way, When i buy packaged bees i wait till late afternoon to hive them. I remove one frame to give more room to place queen cage in between the two middle frames,It helps to spray a little sugar water on a few frames.( not the queen) i then shake the bees on top of the frames and wait till most have gone down into the hive before i place the lid on. There will be some left in the box that you can't shake out so just set the box in front of the hive with the opening up and they will find their way. If you get your bees in the mourning, keep them in a cool dark place (not cold) and spray a light mist of sugar water on the screen to feed and calm them down (don't brush it on,you can injure your bees tongues). After they release the queen (4 to 7 days) you can replace the frame you took out.
    You can remove five or six frames from either side, and place the package in the hive and hang the queen cage between the two frames next to the package, You should be able to remove it the next day or two. I don't like to do it that way because i think it disturbs the bees to much when you remove it and replace the frames and if your not real carefull you can kill several bees. I'm sure i foregot something, but the guys on here will let you know or tell you a different way. Good Luck, Jack

PS. One other thing, feed, feed, feed, 1 to 1 sugar water. :thumbsup:

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I do not like the bang shake package install. My drummer beats a different tune.First I get the hive(s) set in place where I am going to install packages. I also have all the tools needed and helmit and veil. Tools are a mister bottle with 1:1 syrup to spray the girls in the package with, A hive tool or small pry bar to get the packages lid off with. I like small channel locks to grab the syrup can out of the package with.
    [​IMG]

In this picture I have already installed the package on the right. the second deep just surrounds the package, syrup can and syrup jar. But is shows the mister bottle and pry bar I use.
    [​IMG]

This is what the
    package looks like from the side and where you really mist them down with syrup both sides.

[​IMG]

This is the top of the package with the lid still in place. The white strap is hooked and holding the queen cage in place.

[​IMG]

This is the package with the lid loose, the syrup can and queen cage removed. I repace the lid after doing the removal. The girls are still busy cleaning the syrup off each other from the misting.

[​IMG]

:mrgreen: Al

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

This is the queen cage with some burr comb on it. I was told this package was only 3 days old when I picked it up and did the install the 4th day.
    Remove the cork from the candy end only. Since I'm installing the package in drawn comb I place the cage candy end up between two frames and squeeze them together to hold it in place. You will see the gap in a different picture.

[​IMG]

This shows the gap in the frames I left for the queen cage. Once I have that in I hold the lid on the package and turn it upside down over the frames and pull out the lid just before it touches the frames.

[​IMG]

I place the syrup can on the frames if there is any left. I also set a gallon of syrup on the top bars too.
    once that is done I set a second deep body around it all. I come back in a couple of days and remove the empty package and place a intercover on with the syrup jar on top of that. The can is usally empty by then. During the cheap fuel days (diesel at 1.35 a gallon) we did the package removal in a couple of hours. today we go back in about 4 days when the queen should be loose.

[​IMG]

These colonies are at a tree nursery along a river. We had a lot of trouble with coons so they have upper entrances only plus they do use the vent holes a lot too.

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Some pictures from a install on foundation.
    The cork end of the queen cage and small finish nails to hold the cage on the top frame bars.

[​IMG]

Removing the package lid as the package is near the frame top bars.

[​IMG]

This cage is called a JZBZ cage and are what we buy for our own use as I like them better to get the new queen in than the Benton cage.
    This one holds only the queen.
    I also like them because they fit between the frames better.

[​IMG]

One thing I do not do is poke a hole in the candy of the queen cage. with Itialian queens I never had a problem doing that. BUTI lose 5 of 6 carnie queens the first time doing that. the second time I lost all 5 of the queens. In fact one hive I opened just in time to see the girls balling the queen. Seens the hive doesn't like to accept carnie queens as soon.

Now days we do not buy packages or Nucs any longer. We raise our own Queens for the most part or I'll get a few expermintal queen to try. I like to get them laying right away so release the queen on a frame of drawn comb lightly misted with syrup so she doesn't run fast. I'll alread have my home made push in cage in place except for one end where the queen goes in. Once she is in I push the open end close.
    She will normally start laying in a day or so and have the whole area full in 4 days when i remove the push in cage.

[​IMG]

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks for all of the great information and links! I watched numerous YouTube videos of package installations and definately have a better understanding of what to expect.

Eight days til pickup, hopefully have all bases covered!

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nicely done Al.

an Al snip..
    But is shows the mister bottle and pry bar I use.

tecumseh:
    what do you use in your spray bottle Al?

another Al Snip..
    One thing I do not do is poke a hole in the candy of the queen cage. with Itialian queens I never had a problem doing that. BUTI lose 5 of 6 carnie queens the first time doing that. the second time I lost all 5 of the queens. In fact one hive I opened just in time to see the girls balling the queen. Seens the hive doesn't like to accept carnie queens as soon.

tecumseh:
    interesting observation.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i introduce carnie queens i leave the cork in for a day or two before i take it out. I never make a hole with a nail in the sugar cake. Like Al, i learned the hard way. The only way i could get good acceptance with the russian queens, is to start them in 5 frame nucs first. :roll: Jack

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I use 1:1 syrup in the mister bottle. I mist the wad of bees to give them some thing to do while I pry the lid off and remove the queen cage and syrup can. Seemed to work for us. In fact we use a mist of syrup more than smoke when working our bees.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have tried the same this spring with a small bit of other stuff added. Even used it once or twice when I discovered I had left my smoker at the shop. It seems to tame the savage beasties just about like smoke. for one or two small things associated with queen rearing it seems somewhat superior. A commercial fellow I know from the Dakotas told me last spring some other folks he knew were spraying rather routinely... they seemed to think it indued some grooming behavior.