Bee Packages And No Drawn Comb

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by blueblood, Apr 9, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I decided to build two more hives since I was having so much fun with the first two. I was given four drawn frames for each of my first two hives. The bees are doing very well. I was ready to order two packages when I my friend suggested I could not do that urging that I needed some drawn frames. I have found threads here and researched books/internet that would indicate folks are introducing packages with new wax foundations and no drawn foundations. It is probably a no brainer since my local supplier offers packages for $94 and nucs for $115. For less than a $20 dollar difference, I would choose the nucs to ensure things go well and faster. However, I am curious what the consensus is on this. I had previously assumed I could have a deep with 10 new wax foundations waiting in my shop for that possible swarm find and simply put them in it. Thanks friends...Dave

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

For the price difference I would go with the nucs also.

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Nucs for me too.

James

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Although I agree with buying the nuc over the package, their are thousands of packages installed every year on plain foundation. Many on no foundation, as in top bar hives. You don't need drawn comb to install a package.

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hundreds of new Beeks start a package without drawn comb. Drawn comb allows the package to build up faster as the queen has a place to lay as soon as she is released. For a $20. diff. I would go with the Nuc as well because it has stores,brood in various stages and a queen that has been accepted.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks guys..all good advice. I went back and reviewed some of my bee books like "bee keeping for dummies" and he mentions how bees can't resist the beeswax foundations. Looks like nucs or packages won't be available anyway until May. I am waiting on a response from them to verify if they are indeed out. Sounds like many apiaries are already out or running low...