Bee poop issues?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 29, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Yesterday went out to check hives. 50's and been raining all day. My troubled hive is plugging away. If you remember in the fall I a out starved this hive so been feeding megabee in candy board form. The outside of the top entrance and down the sides of the hive looks like they might have the "runs". For the life of me can't remember what it is called. But, was wondering if it is from the megabee. When it warms up outside it becomes a little sticky. Could they be getting it on their feet and depositing it on the entrance? Sorry the are upside down. Just came out of the Stone Age and got a iPhone .

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nothing I see there concerns me much. The lighter stuff is your candy board contents and the few brown spots is just cleansing flight material. No real dysentery problems indicating possible Nosema Apis.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Like Perry said that amount is less than normal you could have 10 times that much dysentery and I still would not be concerned. With a case of Nosema the bees will barely exit the hive and the bees in mass will leave the front around the entrance solidly smeared with diarrhea. what you have is the bees going out of the hive on a warm day resting in the sun and taking a crap to cleans it bowel.
    That is a good sign the temp has warmed to allow the bees to leave the hive on a cleansing flight, now the bees are ready to tackle the rest of winter.