Bee Removal From Downed Tree in Texas

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by TexasnewBee, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

A co-worker had cut down a tree along a creek on his property but when he started cutting it up, guess what he discovered?:eek: Well you know. He wasn't sure what to do because he didn't want to kill them. So a week and a half later he was talking to another person at work that knew I had been tinkering with bees for the last year, and mentioned me to him. So... 4 days later we were over there with chainsaw and hive in hand, anxious to begin our cutout.:grin:

Though this is my third cutout, this is the first one where I found the queen. I put her in front of the hive and she walked right in. That made it so much easier. I found her after I had cut out all of the comb. She was hiding in a crevice next to a knothole on the inside of the tree.
    I have spent the last 2 weeks learning how to edit video. Bee easy on me. This is my first attempt at capturing it on video. This no JP production (Thanks for your videos JP :thumbsup:) , but here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaRDZEVri4

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

check your youtube link. it isn't working for me.

3. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Andy...thanks. Try it now. i corrected it.
    Thanks Again

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Very enjoyable video. Thanks!

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Nice job and good editing thanks for sharing Looks like a fun time was had by all. is it the same person in the video who went from wearing shorts to jeans?

6. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Uhhh...yes. That was my wife. A few bees helped her change her mind on her attire for the event.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

good video for sure. Looks like you did a great job on saving those bees!!

The gals will tell you what is needed for cut outs, sometimes you just have to suit up!

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice job editing and thanks for sharing. It makes me wonder with a tree that's been fallen for some time about the comb orientation. Clearly if the tree has been on it's side for a while, will the bees build new comb with the correct orientation, or will they try and rework the existing comb so it has the correct orientation. It must make it tricky when banding it into frames.
    Well done. :thumbsup:

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

I enjoyed that! :)

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very nice video

11. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Perrybee, I wondered the same thing before I started. I didn't notice anything different on the comb I removed. This tree had only been down for 2 weeks, but it was almost totally upside down.

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Was the queen laying and did you find eggs and young brood, or mostly only capped brood that would have been laid before the tree was cut down?

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for sharing the video, enjoyed it. I noticed the same thing with shorts to pants Apis, ha!

14. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

There was not a lot of capped brood and I don't recall seeing larvae during the cutout. I did take a look inside the hive after 4 days and did notice some cells that had some larger larvae (almost up to the top of the cell). I also noticed some new larvae (still curled up in the bottom of the cell). So maybe she had temporarily stopped laying initially but had started laying again 3 to 4 days before the cutout? I plan on doing an inspection at the 4 week mark which will be next weekend, so I can get an idea of what kind of pattern the queen is laying.

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

awesome, awesome video texas......i have sent this to some of my family/friends to watch......thank you!

16. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the nice comments:hi:

This is fun stuff, isn't it.