Bee Rescue - Will bees hang around until I can get a queen?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dsoont, Aug 11, 2016.

1. dsoont

dsoont New Member

Hello all. Bees have taken up residence in an acquaintance of mines tree and he's had it with them. I have two days to get them before he goes to killing them all. The entrance hole was caused by a fire years ago and has now grown over leaving about a 2" opening and I cannot damage the tree. I think I can get the majority of bees, doubtful if I can get up in there far enough to ensure getting the queen. Since I can't get any hive and getting a queen seems to take a couple of weeks at best, what are the chances these bees will stay in their new hive until I can get one?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Slim chance of success

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

This time of year, you should be able to get a Q shipped to you in 2-3 days... shipping on a Monday. I have gotten nice late season Qs from http://www.beehivebarn.com/
    I have only had luck luring if I add open larva to the trap hive... nurses gotta nurse.

But, I'm with cam: a lotta work with dubious chance of success for a colony of unknown character. Some bks enjoy the challenge of trapouts from difficult places. I guess I'm just not one of them.

4. dsoont

dsoont New Member

Thanks y'all. I'm going to get them and let em fend for themselves. It's at least better than what'll happen to them otherwise. Plus I just like playing with bees! I won't waste money on a queen now though.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

If you have another hive or two, pull a frame of brood & eggs. That will hold them and let them raise a queen if they need one.

6. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I hope it goes well. Keep us updated :) good job saving bees!!

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

if you have another either do a newspaper combine to that hive, or pull a frame of brood and eggs and maybe one of comb put em in a hive body with a feeder on top, be sure it has screened bottom or some kind of screened venting or use screen to lock the front door for 3 days. They should hang around.