Bee School

Discussion in 'Upcoming Meetings' started by tecumseh, Feb 2, 2012.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

myemail.constantcontact.com/Attend-The-Fourth-Annual-Beginners-Beekeeping-School.html?soid=1109104538120&aid=CziVN3lSvXY

We are taking registration for the 4th annual Central Texas Beekeeping School to be held at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Brenham Texas.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if anyone strolls along and could check this link I would appreciate the kindness...

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It looks good to me! :)

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thanks Greg.

date for the bee
    school is Saturday March 24

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

attendance is now at about 200 people. spots will be limited at some time determined by the club's president.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

attendance is now at about 240 and growing at about 5 to 6 sign ups per day.

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The school is Saturday. If anyone in the Central Texas area wants to feel good about being with bees, this is the class to attend. My wife and I attended the 2nd class and it was wonderful! Probably better now. :thumbsup:

Walt

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks Walt. the bee school just gets bigger and better.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at last contact enrollment was at about 320... I guess it was a good idea we arranged to have the Washington County Fairgrounds for the event.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

very tired after a very long day. the weather was perfect and we had unofficially about 380 people in attendance. lots of families and young children certainly made the school a large plus for me. my inspection went flawlessly and the only person stung was myself. I gave this forum a plug along the way. perhaps that may bring a few newbees in this direction.

the quote of the day was made by a young (perhaps 12 year old) young man who while holding a frame in hand with live bees said... 'this is kind of scary, but so cool'.

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

So glad all went well and bet the young did make it a lot better, thanks for your patience in this and all you are doing for the bees, and the bee hobby as well as the bee keeps here on the forums.

kebee

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like tec. our club had our bee school in Jan. and Feb. (we have 191 members now and growing) For the new members,our club will be hosting a potluck dinner and hands on hive inspections at my farm the last weekend in April, This makes the 5th year event at my farm, everyone has a good time including the children. Like tec. my wife and i are worn out afterwards, but it's a good feeling seeing adults and children that intrested in bees,and thinking that we helped answer things they didn't understand.:thumbsup: There was one thing brought up a couple of club meetings back, that i don't know if i agree with or not? Some members thought we should start charging for the bee school so only the ones who are serious about beekeeping would be taking up seats in our now crowded room. Do any of your clubs charge for the bee school? Jack
    PS. tec. not trying to steal your thread, just thought it would be a good place to ask this question.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this year we did decide to add a bit of a $ charge for the school*. the charges were (to my way of thinking modest) and designed to encourage family participation (so much for individual or family). a large part of our reasoning for adding this charge was we decided that we needed to cater in the food since the number of participants were beginning to overwhelm our clubs ability to do the meal. we also built and painted a good number of hives which were ALL sold. any profit from this activity is eventually headed to fund scholarships for the younger crowd. Brenham is a fairly unique little town (Washington Co is where the Texas revolution began) in that it places a lot of emphasis on agriculture and education and it annual fair is still 'the real thing'... if you know what I mean?

cost should be in the link that eddy added. we also have a facebook page for the club (Central Texas Beekeepers) and we usually post some picture there of stuff leading up to and the bee school itself.

no problem Jack... jump right in and ask all the question you want.

I have long suspected that any activity that get folks over their long standing fear of stinging insects (all a lot of folks need is just a nudge) is all that is required to get folks interested in keeping their own bees. my secondary agenda item is to attract the next generation of bee keepers.

*a $ charge also tends to weed out certain kinds of individuals that are looking for anything and everything free.

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

Great job tecumseh, educators/mentors had always had a special place in peoples' lives. I hope to become one when time comes. I highly respect what you, Iddee, Americasbeekeeper and others do for beekeepers and the beekeeping field. Thank you.:thumbsup: