Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the 1000th time someone has posted this so sorry! This will be 1001. I have the sheriff style jacket. Under that I have a tyvex suit.:shock: Talk about hot! Well, it's more like a duct tape tyvex suit. I'm looking for a nice one piece suit that is well built and easy on the pocket. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Your birthday suit is one piece, free, and hopefully well built. :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sheriff jacket and blue jeans should be all you need.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not necessarily the easiest on the pocket. But I would recommend an ultra breeze or the knock off of the same at Pigeon Mountain.
I own the jacket from Pigeon Mountain and have to fight tooth and nail to keep my kids from stealing it
scroll down to the second listing on this page for the full suit.
http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category/1-22636-ventilated-bee-wear.aspx

As for easiest on the pocket but it is going to be hot. look at the coveralls on this page.
http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category/1-22629-bee-wear.aspx

you will have to scroll down a ways to find the coveralls.
I also have a jacket of this type and my kids use it when they help me. but I could not use it without stepping away frequently and removing it to cool off. Otherwise it gets the job done.

There is a big difference in price there but I think the ventilated suit is well worth it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your birthday suit is one piece, free, and hopefully well built. :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sheriff jacket and blue jeans should be all you need.
The way it looks it's more a 2 piece and not so well built. Free? You know how many beers I had to buy to get this look? Not so cheap!:lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not necessarily the easiest on the pocket. But I would recommend an ultra breeze or the knock off of the same at Pigeon Mountain.
I own the jacket from Pigeon Mountain and have to fight tooth and nail to keep my kids from stealing it
I like the breeze suit. Do you think the jacket is well built? pros? cons? .

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
A suit over tyvek, I would just pass out and melt away. The hooded jacket from dadant will roast me in a matter of minutes. For me the most comfort is the helmet and square veil, also offers the best vision. Most times wear nothing and take a few stings, but to me that is just part of it.........did not say I liked it, just part of it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I love the jacket. Only problem I have is it riding up above my belt in the back exposing my lower back to possible stings. I got one sting last Thursday when the wrist band left a gape at my glove. There is an elastic band that is supposed to go over your thumb to prevent that. I was not using it so my bad not the jackets. It is a tough three layer mesh and you feel the air moving through it. Well built I would and actually will buy it again as I get more hive. I can't keep asking my kids to stay in that smothering solid material jacket.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I like the breeze suit. Do you think the jacket is well built? pros? cons? .
If there was a local beekeeper that had a ventilated suit that you could try on, you'd be amazed at the difference (at least I was).

I have the PM ventilated suit. I like it very much. The thing I wish it had was zippers in the legs to go over boots. I have to take my boots off to put the suit on. I got the fencing type veil, and later got the round one as I think it is cooler and less confined.

resized.jpg

My wife and I went down to the store to look around and that's where I bought mine. The people there were really friendly and knowledgeable.

http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/2012/03/day-trip-to-pigeon-mountain-trading.html

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had four or five different suits and the best by far is the Ultrabreeze. Yes it's probably the most expensive, but the best usually is. I prefer not to wear a suit, but when I need a suit I want the best. The ventilation makes removing bees on a hot day in Southern California bearable.

When I'm removing very aggressive bees I wear boots and gloves as well, and I don't get stung!

The other great attribute of the Ultrabreeze is the zip all the way up the leg, it makes it 'a breeze' to get on over boots.

See a comparison here, http://www.bees-on-the-net.com/bee-suit.html

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nice link geoffkb! :thumbsup:
I've got an ultrabreeze and love it. I find it real easy to get on and off because of the leg zippers, which go all the way up to your hip, and I have yet to be stung through it. Given that I am sort of not wearing gloves lately, that may be cause they're zeroing in on my hands. :lol:
The only thing is the price, :???: however to me it is worth it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the UltraBreeze jacket combo and have been very pleased. The jacket is very convenient, but on hot days I wish I had gotten the full suit, which would be cooler than wearing jeans.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on buying an Ultra Breeze suit today. I saved my pennies for a the last couple of months. Dang they are pricey! Reviews here and all around the web are impressively positive regarding them. The cotton suit I have not is HOT and have been stung twice through it.

Sizing was a bit confusing. I went with a Large for my frame: 5-11, 175, 31/32 inseam, 38 gut. I will follow up with this thread when I receive it to help the next keep who may have similar dimensions.

Perry, if you read this, I know you are a big fan of this suit. I read one comment somewhere that the veil has a tendency to rest against the chin. Others responded by saying they wear a ball cap to help extend the face portion of the veil away from the face. Any validity to that, input as an actual owner?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Congrats Dave! :thumbsup:
I really like mine. The veil thing is something I have read as well, but never really noticed it was any different than any other veil I wear. The first thing you will notice is how much heavier it is weight wise than your normal suits, it is surprising (probably not an issue for you if you are used to wearing a vest at work).
Once it is on you don't notice it but you will notice and feel any little breeze through the suit. Like I mentioned before, you will still sweat on a hot day, the difference is you will feel much cooler.
The Ultrabreeze is more expensive than other ventilated suits but the brass zippers, including the ones that go right up the leg to your hip are a big plus.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Very good. Do you wear your ball cap under your veil?

I wrote a an e-mail to Ultra Breeze with a few questions and was very impressed to receive a personal response from "Stephanie" within 20 minutes. I like that. She was thankful I bought the suit directly from their site versus Amazon. I told her I almost bought it from Amazon. Amazon fulfills the orders. She said while the suits on Amazon are theirs, they like it folks buy from them directly so they have a chance to hear from the customers. Good stuff.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been looking a pigeon forge suit and see a few "pros" and "cons" Pro- 2 veil options (I have a jacket with the fencing type veil and not too much of a fan. Rests of the back our your head and ears. Feel like you have tunnel vision) Lower cost Con- no zippers down the legs, hard to get over boots not made in USA Material seems to be the same. Heard they both can get snagged. Both have brass zippers. Sizing seems it can be an issue with both. I want to buy a ventilated suit for this year but with the Ultra-Breeze cost and only having one veil option is keeping me from buying it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
ultra breeze suit.jpg
My Ultra Breeze arrived today. Perry, you were right, it is heavier than a normal suit. The large fit well for my dimensions. The first thing I noticed while walking around in the house was the cool air that was rushing in on my arms, legs and trunk. That is going to be nice! I didn't notice anything but my ears (just slightly) and the back of my head touching the veil. I will most certainly wear a ball cap under the veil. The vision through the veil is not as clear as my regular suit but I can live with it. Very funky feel to the fabric.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
An added bonus is that you can get away with wearing shorts in the summer with no fears. Funny you mentioned the cool breeze on your arms in the house, that's the first thing I noticed too. :lol:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Ha, yes, it was a lot of air too! I am excited to return to shorts. The firrst thing that sure that I noticed about the fabric was the open spaces beteen the fabric. Just can't wrap my brain around how it's mechanics behind sting protection yet. My old suit is solid cotton which creates the illusion of invincibility. This is gonna be fun. Come on spring!
IMG_20130107_201326.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You look good in that suit, Dave! :)

I think the sting mechanics is that the thickness of the different layers is thicker than the stinger is long. Plus the odds of getting a hole lined up is minimal, too. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
553 Posts
...snip...(the old fashioned) helmet and square veil, also offers the best vision...snip...
View attachment 6544
...snip... The vision through the veil is not as clear as my regular suit but I can live with it...snip...
Santa brought me a ventilated jacket from Mann Lake. The visibility is lackluster with it too. My old Dadant veil from 1978 allowed superior vision to any protective apparatus I've seen yet. This is a "bee jacket" for heavens sake, not a mosquito net! Why don't manufacturers use larger net for increased visibility?

There is a common thread here relating poor visibility in these products, I hope sellers are listening. I've even considered replacing the netting for better visibility, anyone done that yet? :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts