Bee Territory Etiquette question ... Would you confront?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bees In Miami, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

I am in a dilemma, and don't know if I am just being overly protective of my bees foraging territory. I discovered yesterday that a beekeeper whom I know, has placed 8 hives on an herb growing nursery 1/4-1/2 mile from my house/bee yard. I know his hives & colors. He also knows I have my bees here. His main bee yard is over 5 miles from here. So, I feel like he has 'invaded' my territory so to speak, and feel like his decision was crappy and inconsiderate. So, am I just being over sensitive? I want to tell him he should move his hives out of mutual respect. What would you do? Thanks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

An area, on average, can support 25 to 35 hives. I wouldn't worry about 8.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In Israel, licensed beekeepers have their "territory" registered in their names and if someone encroaches on it, the authorities will see to it that a proper distance is maintained from the "owner's" apiary. Ask "America's Beekeeper" what the law is in Florida and if you have any legal redress.
    Of course, maintaining good relations with neighboring beekeepers is always a good policy--you never know when good relations will be of mutual benefit.
    Tread lightly and think carefully before you do something you may regret. Sometimes the best policy is one of "Grin and bear it". :mrgreen:

4. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Thanks Iddee and efmesch: I agree that 8 hives isn't many, but with my own growing bee yard, it still rubs me the wrong way. ef, I was kind of looking at the 'maintaining good relations' thing the other way around. I sure wouldn't plunk down hives so close to somebody else's known yard. So who isn't maintaining good relations? As I said, he knows exactly where I live, he has been here, and knows I am growing my colonies. I am far from being a hot head, so if I do say anything, it will be done professionally, and without regret. I will keep an eye on the location to make sure he doesn't go further, for sure.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Here's another idea (maybe cheeky but....)
    Next time you see this gentleman, offhandedly remark that you are thinking of expanding and were wondering if there was any room near his apiary for an outyard? :wink:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, in addition to all your other wonderful traits, I see you are a top-notch tactician.
    Really good advice.!!

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Those cynically courteous Canadians! :thumbsup:

8. Omie

Omie Active Member

Well, you can't really claim control of areas of land that don't belong to you. If a nearby farm or orchard brings in a beekeeper to pollinate their crops, would you tell them they shouldn't be able to, because you live a half mile away and have hives?
    What if somebody came up to you and said they had been keeping several hives down the block since before you had bees, only you didn't know about it...and would you please get rid of your bees because they were competing for forage with his?
    I imagine the herb nursery may have even struck a deal to sell some of the honey produced by the hives on their land- that would be good marketing, places do that right here where i live.

Although I certainly sympathize, I don't really see how you can argue against what the herb farm or the other beekeeper is doing.

9. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

PerryBee...I like the way you think!! :rolling: :thumbsup: I drove by again today...they are only .2 miles from my yard. Ticks me off!! Perhaps the State would like to know that the hives aren't numbered.... I seem to remember reading something about unidentified hives being considered 'abandoned'..... :eek: :club: He might be messin' with the wrong chick! :box::duel::twisted:

10. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Omie: I of course agree...If it was some stranger, I would shrug and say 'that sucks'. I guess what irks me the most is this was supposedly a "friend". He easily could have said he has a friend with several hives 300 yards away. I am not saying he did anything wrong bee wise....but integrity/respect wise? Let's just say he dropped a few (ok, many) rungs on my 'friend' ladder.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

my two hive tools,
    it was crappy and inconsiderate of a beekeepin' friend, especially if he knew and didn't give you a heads up. "integrity/respect wise"..... i'd bee ticked as well. i hear what iddee is saying, as well as omie. i like perry's reply, and that is exactly what i would do, with diplomacy. if his hives aren't up to florida standards....might be the leverage.

hope you get it worked out.:grin:

12. Ray

Ray Member

A word of caution: The game of payback has a way of escalating, sometimes past sanity.

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yap, things like a little scurmish can turn into a all out war, I think since its so few hives and lets face it in florida most anyplace can support 30 or more hives I would just smile and think that now your gene pool for queen mating just got alot better:grin:

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    So, am I just being over sensitive?

tecumseh...
    I think 'yes sir, your are'. some of this is landscape and some relative numbers. if the other beekeeper set down 800 hive then I think you might have a case. there are of course some landscapes where 8 or 9 hives that close would be crowding.

I have had somewhat the same concern with my good beekeeping neighbors down in Navasota. All of this very innocent on my part.... but invariable someone would ask me to set a few hives on what I though was a fairly unoccupied landscape and after several month (and typically wandering down some country road) notice that my good neighbors already have a yard not that far away. I think both myself and my neighbor kind of understand how these things happen and both of us benefit somewhat in that someone else is riding by and looking into a yard to see if anything looks amiss.

15. Hawk

Hawk New Member

You might think of it as a (potential) blessing. His bees may be able to provide some drone genetic diversity to your growing yard... Are you buying pre-mated queens for your growth? Or are you rearing your own & allowing local fertilization of your queen?

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

Reading between the lines, I suspect you are dissapponted about the lack of communication as much as the sudden appearance of the hives. If you knew your friend's intentions you would be able to put things in perspective.

Protectiveness of your bees and invasion of your percieved territory engender feelings, which I suspect, are pretty normal for the situation. Time will put a more objective face on your surprising developments, count to ten before you say or do anything. :)

P.S. I'm waiting to see that statue surrender its bees.....keep us posted. :)

17. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Another bonus is that if someone gets stung or has problems with a swarm, you have someone else to blame it on: What? Bee Sting? No I keep a rare variety of Norwegian Blue stingless bees, but there is this other guy....

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hawk has a good thought there---think of how many swarms he might provide for you.

19. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

That's the first thing I thought of, too. If you live close, and he's miles away, I'd be putting up swarm traps.

20. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If the nursery requested the bees for pollination and are paying a fee for the pollination there is little that can be done or said about it as it is the nursery is the customer and the beekeeper is providing the service.
    Next time you see the other beekeeper ask him how much the nursery is paying for his pollination service? Depending on his response you may determine if his bees were requested or not. If the bees are there to provide pollination for the herbs then the hives should be removed when the crops are finished as to not provide extra competition when forage is scarce.