Bee theft in Canada

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Jul 6, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

$60,000 / 154 hives = $389.61 / hive

Sounds a little steep to me for a double deep on pallets.

Had something like that happen to me years ago, they came in and stole all of the honey, extracted it and returned the empty wet supers.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i listen to cbc radio, and i heard the interview with this keep thursday night on a program called "as it happens" audio here, about 6 minutes:
    bee heist

my opinion? 150 hives over a 3 to 4 week period in 7 different locations clearly tells me the keep has an employee problem.....an employee or paid off employee who knows where these hives are located and knows stealing boxes isn't going to fly, etc.....all points to an employee, or former employee, "an inside job" if you will. i would start with and be looking at every one of my employees.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I still have a hard time understanding how one person can do this to another. :dontknow: If whoever has done this put half the effort into doing something constructive.......................................?

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

imagine opening boxes to find what he did? i'd be scratching my head and totally dumbfounded. a very clever way to steal, and unfortunately for him, a very great loss. he will lose the bees he does have....perry-"I still have a hard time understanding how one person can do this to another." and i might add, how can anyone do this to honey bees?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I can't say that this sort of thing hasn't crossed my mind before.
    I am a creature of habit, almost ocd when it comes to certain things. I almost always like to approach my hives from one particular side and only recently have I started to deviate from that. I always do things in a certain order, and finish up in the exact same way.
    Now I know for a fact that I have found footprints (once 2 pair, in the snow) on several occasions going all around my hives, and several times I have found tire tracks leading right up to my hives (hidden), once is was even dually's. :shock:
    I have occasionally driven up to my hives and found things just not as I remember them. My 1 1/2" spacers are always left leaning on a particular corner of my hives when not in use, and I will find one or two in a different position, or something else will be slightly different.
    I have tended to believe that now I am into my 50's perhaps it is just a momentary lapse of memory or something but I always wonder..........:???:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I hate a thief, i guess it's because of me being in law enforcement (and most of my family) and seeing the problems it causes:roll:. Learned yesterday that two AC units were stolen from a local church, cut and ripped off their pads.The officer said they would probably be stripped for the copper and aluminium and sold for a small amount, and look what it's going to cost the church to replace them. It's hard to believe people can stoop that low. Jack

7. cbcbk

cbcbk New Member

My name is Brett Kwan and I work for CBC Radio in Vancouver. Hoping to speak with someone about bee theft.

My email is brett.kwan@cbc.ca .

Regards,
    Brett Kwan
    Associate Producer
    CBC Current Affairs

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member