Bee Tree and actually very accessible less then 2 foot high

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by barry42001, Sep 13, 2011.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello all,
    right down the street fom me, was told of a feral hive ( yeah I know there are no feral colonies left in Florida, wonder if the bees know that ) They appear quite gentle, with the primary entrance about 2 foot off the ground. They are inside a old pine tree, that was damaged by lightening many years ago, bees took up residence in the split section. The tree itself not very large about 22 inches in diameter but center seems quite soft from the lightening damage--pine was attacked by beetle grubs even more so then usual. will provide photos before and during and hopefully after the sucessful trap out. I am figuring about a 4 - 6 week event

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Re: Bee Tree and actually very accessible less then 2 foot

I imagine, this time of year, shb will destroy the hive long before the trap is completed.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

never coonsidered that----perhaps will wait till spring this colony did swarm this year, the people living there perfectly described the swarm, maybe march 0r april as colony strength is still building.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would think that would work much better. As early in the year as possible IE: When the first drone is flying.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

a few pictures of the trap out when I get started

Attached Files:

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

with regards to SHB what is the attractant for them--brood combs, pollen, not the honey, but what attracts them

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The smell of the hive, whatever the components. The strength of the hive determines whether they get a foot hold or not. As the trap weakens the colony, they move in in numbers.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Was going to wait for spring, but land owner wants them gone or exterminated, willing to wait a few weeks is recovery is possible, I have ordered a queen , and making sugar syrup, will be placing the hive sometime next week, with queen and pheremone will also place a entrance reducer after a few days to try to minimumize SHB threat. know population is what keeps them out. Wish me luck

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Trap out started--colony apparently isn't very strong, small clusters of bees, unfornately what I didn't figure on is ants, tiny really tiny black ants going for the queen candy, bees were starting to cluster on her cage--then the ants found it, and wiped out queen and her court, with ant problems may have to rethink even doing a cutout with small populations of bees, getting a frame or two of brood tonightand how does one feed the bees without attracting ants----knew there was a reason I disliked ants--started to take pics have a few but actually broke the camera at the site.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

trap out proceeding well enough, bees had a few minor exits ( boring beetles holes lol ) frame of brood with 2 day larve--queen comming wed or thurs.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol ok I did something rather stupid and paid--went to visit the trap out and see what was happening, bees are starting to enter the catch hive---drove up to site on my goldwing, and walked over about 30 ft to observe from about 10 ft away. Now I know bees tend no to like dark clothing, and was wearing my dark blue coveralls from work, black helmut with visor up, when one of the girls took exception to me being to me being there and flew into my helmut and as I was trying to brush her off stung me on the bridge of my nose, realizing what was happening( like I shouldn't have thought about it earlier), I was backing away another girl entered my helmut, which I removed at that point, she chased me for a few yards before I swatted her down and stepped on her. Note to self--remember why bee suits are WHITE.

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Had a similar experience, 50 feet away on a riding mower, dark blue t-shirt, a real duhhh moment.

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

hmmm sprayed down the cluster of bees with sugar syrup to one, make it more difficult to fly, two, distract them from worrying about me. using a brush to sweep down the cluster on to a nuc top ( seemed to fit the bill better then dust pan) and sweep them onto the landing board of the catch hive- most went right in, a small group tryed stinging the brush, and even groups were even stinging fellow workers. Know they are stressed, but does this behavior of aggression, suggest something I need worry about ?

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With all the trapouts I have ever done, only one was mean. It is not normal for them to be aggressive.

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

buckfast queen arrived in good condition, will intalll today--my first time seeing buckfast bees, dark, but seem calm we will see

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Queen installed girls were QUITE pleased to have a mom will check see if she's been released today. They have started taking sugar syrup.