Bee tree

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Well, on Saturday my son ask me if he could go squirrel hunting behind the house. I said sure. He wasn't gone very long, & came back & said, "dad, you have some bees that are swarming." I laughed & said, I doubted it, yet he insisted that there was something going on with the bees. I went out about 150 yards from the house, & there is a tree there that has bees coming & going! I assume it was a swarm that I lost last year. I'm pretty sure I didn't have any swarming issues this year, so I'm confident that these bees have already endured one winter in this tree.

What do you guys think I should do with this? Should I wait until spring & try to coax them out of the tree someway? Should I leave them alone? Thoughts...? It has been so slow on the board & thought that this might spur a little chatter amongst some of you guys. I would love to hear it.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would leave it alone till spring. At that time decide if you want to try and catch a swarm, or do a trap-out.
    Doing anything now will be the end of them.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't know just how cold it can get in your neck of the woods and what are the chances of an unseasonable storm that could destroy a hive in the open, but if you're the kind of person who takes out insurance, I would sugggest that you move the family into a hive. On a nice day, with some activity going on (the bees not being clustered) you could cut off the combs and place them inside frames with reinforcing rubber bands to hold them in place, and then fit them and their stores into a nice warm Langstroth hive. Make sure not to change the positions of the nest frames. Keep the hive as located as close as you can to the bees present location.
    When you get a spell of inclement weather that you can expect to keep them indoors for several days, you can move the hive to the place where you want to keep them permanently.
    When the season get on its way you'll be able to feed them if needed and replace the old combs with new foundation for building new combs.

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

I'm assuming the bees are inside an opening of the tree. If that is true I might leave them in there until spring. If they are hanging from a branch in the open, You might try to get them before the coldest weather of the year arrives.

5. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I'll try to post a pic of the tree later, but it's already been down to 6 degrees here. I doubt it gets any colder than that. We have also had some pretty good storms to. I am in tornado alley! :wink:

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another pic but I can't get it to load.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Seeing the pictures and Lee's comment, I "withdraw" my suggesstion. For some reason, I assumed that the "swarm" your son saw was set-up outside, on a branch. Being inside the tree changes the whole situation.
    ​Wait for spring and either set up a trap-out arrangement or, assuming that they''ll swarm when they outgrow their quarters, prepare to catch the swarms that emerge.

8. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I think I kinda leaning towards doing some trap outs in the spring. I have always wanted to do that. Now I just need to get permission from my neighbor to go on his property & do that...you think a jar of honey will soften him up to the idea...?:grin:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Waddya mean soften him up? -----Set up a grandstand and charge admission to all who want to watch. It's really quite a show! :lol:

10. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Yes I would buy a ticket!