Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call this morning about a fallen bee-tree. Turns out it was just a limb but the tree was 100+ yrs old and the limb looked like it was probably 70 years old. The bees weren't too thrilled but weren't too bad either. I vacuumed up as many as I could then cut the limb to put screen over their entrances and hauled the limb home where I opened up one entrance as well as my bee vac. Gotta go back in the morning for another section of the hive that I didn't have time to get before I had to pick up my son from school. Pics will follow.

Got popped 3 times on the ankle, in the same or nearly the same spot... dadgum alarm phermone!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If I had to say where I get popped more often, it's the ankles. Course it doesn't help that all I usually wear is runners.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went back for the other part today... man oh man was this a long hive... Took two more logs filled with bees that really wanted a piece of me... at one point they launched an all-out assault on me for a good 20 minutes. They got me too... 12 times... through the suit. Man oh man I'm glad I always suit up, that would have been bad otherwise. Anyway... pics are a commin' tonight.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
"12 times"
Some of those pics gonna show you all puffed up?
Often we say "free bees" when catching a swarm or doing a trap or cut out but I figure after getting popped a few times, they aren't exactly "free", they've been paid for! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
But, after you spend 4 to 6 hours in the heat to get them in a hive and home, then they take off into the wild, blue yonder the next day, they are freeeeeeee........

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iddee, I would hunt them down and kill them all one by one... lol I have worked too hard for this already... and I haven't even done the main cutout... that'll come this weekend I hope.

Here are the pics I promised...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Your house in pic one, your wife's house in pic two?????

OK!! :shock: :lol:

That ought to make a nice hive when you get them moved.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that must have been some tree!
100+ years old is what I was told. It's about 5' in diameter at the base, so I believe it. Looked like oak leaves to me, so that's what I'm guessing it is.

Your house in pic one, your wife's house in pic two?????
Neither... both were neighbor's houses... one is the neighbor behind and to the right of my lot and the other is the neighbor beside my lot just to the right.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought I'd share some of the pics from where this was cut up and the bees removed from it... The guy in the pics is Michael Bush, but not the same one as most of you are familiar with... he's a new beekeeper that I'm mentoring.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, he was one of this years' grant-hive winners.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Good deal glad you are taking the time to mentor him :thumbsup:

Crackerbee and myself are going after a bee tree this morning, I am not holding my breath for them to be doing very well, lots of comb damage was done when the tree fell which was two weeks ago. I would say SHB has had their way with them, we'll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts