Bee-V park? Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

After surviving 2 summers with days over 100 and robber bees and insufficient forage for my bees, I am considering up and leaving from July 1st to October 1st starting in 2014.

So they have RV parks.. Are there any BV parks? cuz the bees are going with me. Seriously I'm going to be looking for less than an acre probably, rural, to rent or buy, in a good spot for bees and me. Secure and plant some forage this year, it has to rain there, I can buy non-raining land on the 2 lots behind me and water and plant more forage... And it has to be green. I'm sick of desert.

I am open to suggestion. I am giving up my reef to do this.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How far north are you willing to travel? :mrgreen:

3. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Maybe try craig's list in your target area. Put up the usual 10% of the honey for rent and see what happens. There just might be some organic farm out there that would welcome you and your bees with open arms.

4. Gypsi

12 hours. That puts me in Missouri or Colorado, maybe north Arkansas. I have a friend in Colorado, guy who shot photos for my first book cover, seeing if he and his family would mind an outyard sort of guest first.

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Anybody growing alfalfa nearby? You could drive the bees there in your larvae RV.......oh, that was bad. I was serious about the alfalfa idea, though.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gypsi.....
    bv parks, thats funny!
    i'm with perry,
    "How far north are you willing to travel?"......:lol:
    wisconnie's a good state.....

no matter where you go gypsi, there is no paradise for bees, you will have the problems to deal with associated with the area.....maybe some better than texas, but it's all relative and maybe some tradeoffs? i would be inclined to do what pete said, a great thought, can't hurt....never know.

maybe a better 'bee and gypsi paradise' that makes both happy?! :grin:
    let me know when you find it.....:lol:

7. Gypsi

I will be checking this out. I am concerned about the temperature, the day may come when I leave Texas, and my kids and grandkids may want to follow. Probably in 2015 or after, give or take.

Meantime I kinda thought I'd take the bees and a dog and check the situation out northward. Preferably in august. But it will be 2014 before I have my reef tank and goat situation settled and can plan places to go and who knows, maybe even get paid a little for pollination?

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

best of wishes to you gypsi on your thinking and adventures......
    bees and the dog?
    ......just can't check into a motel or hotel with 'em while you're getting there........:lol:

9. Gypsi

I am figuring out how to pull this off. Thinking about building a tiny house on my flatbed trailer, with a backporch full of beehives. Will let you know... (I am playing with ideas at the moment, having been chained to Texas by business and my oldest dog who could not travel for the last 9 years... just thinking about leaving is fun.)

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

You could just drive around like this. When you find a good nectar source, find a nearby hotel and park :grin:

576582_493574567355258_258128220_n.jpg

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"You could just drive around like this. When you find a good nectar source, find a nearby hotel and park :grin:"

:lol::rotfl:

12. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I think it it has been carjacked by some very lovely Ladies!(and few guys on the side):))

13. Gypsi

I was thinking about that But with pesticides and what not, and bees getting lost because I moved the trailer, not sure that is a good idea.

14. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

At one time when I lived in Colorado, I got to thinking about how the cattle ranchers moved their herds to the high country for the summer. Contacted the BLM office and Forest Service office to see if I would need a permit of some kind(cattle ranchers need a grazing permit). The first answers I got from both was WOW I have never been asked about a grazing permit for bees before. And then was told it should not be a problem as long as they wern't placed in a camp ground, alot of meadows and clearings have sites used by hunters but not weekend campers.The plan I had was to mount hives on a trailer and park it in a high country clearing and park my RV 50 ft. or so away and stay for the summer. Was told that I may have to move every 7 days but if I moved my RV 25 or 30 ft. I should be ok. Have not tried it yet but may someday. Down side is being in bear country but 75% of the time I would be in camp with dogs. Jim

15. Gypsi

Jim,

I have 3 dogs... and a trailer. Not the RV, but a tent, hmmmm...

16. kebee

kebee Active Member

Just bringy our hives my way Gypsi, I have room for you to park and even an extra bed room when you got tired of the tent. Best of all a place for your bees, lot of good wild flowers and blooming trees and heep of blackberry come spring.

kebee

17. Gypsi

No more south. Going north to avoid the heat. Thank you though

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you travel at night, when all good girls are at home, you should have no problem. :grin:

19. Gypsi

good point EF

20. Lburou

Lburou Member

Gypsi, as you move East from DFW, the annual rainfall will increase quite a lot. There is reported to be a good bee area NE of Dallas. Personally, I'd find the areas and check out the forage, but leave the bees at home, they are adaptable and enterprising and able to make it wherever you settle down. On the other hand, if traveling with bees makes you happy, go for it! :)