Bee Venom Therapy, I have had a request.

Discussion in 'Bee Medicinals' started by HisPalette, Jul 14, 2013.

1. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I have a neighbor who has recently came down with Parkinson's. Many medications he has tried and not had much relief. He and his wife approached me to see if I would start treating him. I really want to help his tremors. He has not been allergic to honey bees in the past. I will do this and have studied some. Anyone here with any experience?

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

There are some beeks I know who do it but the treatment is a problem in the winter- are you far enough south that opening the hive is possible all thru the winter?

3. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I can most of the time, if it was like last year, and timing of course. There are several weeks if the weather is severe, maybe 6 that I might not. I have heard of doing treatments for a specific time frame than stopping, and starting them again.

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

But regarding winter, I have also read that the percentage of the healing properties are low when the foraging ceases. I think that they want to try it because nothing else has really helped. I think if it starts out well they may seek it professionally, from injections, which are not always as effective as the real thing, directly from the bee.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have had a number of requests. My answer is always, "You can have access to the bees, but you will have to administer the stings. I will not charge you anything, but I will not take the liability of putting the bees on you".

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I was going to say also I would not want the liability. Might not be a bad idea for them to have an epi pen handy also.

7. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

both good ideas Iddee and G3
    ‚ÄčThat was my concern...

8. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

OH! I got some unscheduled bee venom therapy myself today! Total of 7 stings, 6 in gloved hands and one in the ankle. They were vicious things today! One large hive and a nuc and all I was doing was checking honey and brood, and adding frames to the nuc. They had no sense of humor today! Saw two more stingers in my jeans that didn't make it to skin. I had my suit on, Thank God! Yeesh! Made me more determined to finish it up, with each zap... Said some very unladylike things! But still finished my business. and we will see how it helps my arthritis and fibromyalgia. :chased:

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:rolling:
    What gloves do you use? I started using Mann Lakes's Meyer's Gloves this year http://www.mannlakeltd.com/product/CL-158.html. Although, looks like they have started making the the hand part yellow, mine our white. I have yet to get stung through them. I also started carrying a bottle of regular baby powder in my bee tool box. I splash my gloves with a little powder before diving in the hives. Heard that works, so I tried it too. Between the Meyers gloves and my Ultra Breeze, I have reduced "in uniform" stings to a zero. Hope the stings help your pain though.

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I had a thin pair with rubber fingers and palms, not my beekeeping leather gloves. Used them the most, and with no problems until this incident. They stung the tops of my hands where there was no rubberized fabric. Smart girls. They are wound up with all the storms for weeks. MY fault, but I had to check them. With Benedryl head, chilling today. It actually felt pretty good to get stung, the arthritis is better in my hands.