Bee venom to possess beneficial effects in the treatment of Parkinson disease

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Americasbeekeeper, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Bee Venom and Its Component Apamin as Neuroprotective Agents in a Parkinson Disease Mouse Model
    Bee venom has recently been suggested to possess beneficial effects in the treatment of Parkinson disease (PD). In particular, a specific component of bee venom, apamin, has previously been shown to have protective effects on dopaminergic neurons in vitro. Parkinson disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder characterized by typical motor symptoms (akinesia, rigidity, rest tremor) that result from the progressive loss of dopamine (DA) neurons in the substantia nigra (SN) [1]. Recent studies suggest that bee venom (apis mellifera) can protect dopaminergic (DA) neurons from degeneration Interestingly, two studies reported that the peptide apamin, a specific component of bee venom, can protect DA neurons in a model system of midbrain cultures that mimics the selective demise of these neurons in PD [6],[7].
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0061700

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Being an old sprout cutter i don't know what all those big words are? but as many times i've been stung over the years (around 20 times already this year) i should be in good shape if bee venom prevents any of those diseases.:thumbsup: Jack