Bee Weaver Queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rail, Sep 16, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

Has anyone had experience with Bee Weaver queens???

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have and they have always done very well.

3. rail

rail New Member

How is the temper of the hive, are they hot?

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I think I was told that R weaver who I used and B weaver are the same family but different companies same area as well, and the 2 breeds I used was All american and Buckfast, the American didnt seem any different from the hives I have caught in the area, the Buckfast was a bit hotter but built up faster.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

They have been selling queen and selecting bee lines for there breeding program for a long long time. they used to ship queens into Canada before the border was closed to bee imports in 1987 They have a long history of developing quality queens and understand the the principles of raising queens. and genetic diversity.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Less hot than the swarms I've caught. I have had R Weaver also, and they are about the same as far as temperament goes.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

shout out to TEC Weavers is in his back yard.:thumbsup:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I work for them seasonally... so yes I do know something about them and their product. You might check out their web site and take a close look at the social blog area. I think Danny (now the principle owner) makes some comment on their web site about the evolution of the temperament of their bees and address how this is now one issue 'we' need to address. This of course doesn't happen over night.

There does seem to be significant confusion by some beekeeping 'authorities' that the two Weavers are one and the same. I will tell you quite frankly that besides some relationship to a grandfather (Roy) that the two companies not connect and confusing their products as one and the same is a large mistake.

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's true. I wouldn't say the quality of their packages are the same. BeeWeaver packages are 3lbs plus and very healthy bees. The one 3lbs package of RWeaver bees looked to have been packaged several days before shipping evidenced by the number of dead bees in the package. There was also a very large load of SHB in the RWeaver package also. I won't order from RWeaver again, but their bees ended up being very productive regardless of the problems.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Tec,
    I heard something about cordovan hot queens from Beeweaver - are they cooling down any?

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this is a link to BWeaver web site(www.beeweaver.com) and it has some good information including how to install packages and how to grade packages that you might purchase from them. there is also a bit of a movie clip of Beneford (Danny's father and in my own mind the Yoda of queen rears) and Danny with the backdrop being one of our bee club meetings in Brenham, Tx.

I myself often times get pretty involved in shaking bees for the packages... likely the worst job in the bee yard in regards to stress on bees and beekeeper. Such stuff does test your metal and my attempt to 'endeavor to persevere'.

a Gypsi snip...
    I heard something about cordovan hot queens from Beeweaver - are they cooling down any?

tecumseh:
    BWeaver does NOT produce Cordovan queens as far as I know. If they could isolate a Cordovan that could survive without treatment they would (I would guess) try to replicate this success. Over time it appears their own 'survivor' queens and bees have gotten a bit darker.

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Darn, I killed my survivor cordovan. But her offspring were hotter than a firecracker.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the Cordovans I rear here are extremely gentle Gypsi. these F1 are I presume pretty much mated to BWeaver drones (theirs or mine). I have never tried to produce daughters (F2) from the cordovan queens I rear since this would absolutely defeat my reason for raising Cordovans which is pretty much what it appears you have observed directly. quite often in the F2 generation a lot of poor qualities show up.... in genetic speak this is often time referred to as 'reversion to the mean'.