Bee with an Attitude??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jun 2, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yesterday i got a stool and set down to pick gooseberries (tame) in the back yard. This one bee started after me buzzing back and forth in my face, i tried to ignore it but it got more aggressive and tried to sting? I walked off and it followed me half way to the barn, well i fed calfs and went back to pick again and no more than set down and the same thing. I tried to kill it but it was to fast, so i walked to the garage door and it followed me in where i ran back out and slamed the door, trapping her inside.I have hives 300 ft. from the house across a blackberry patch, so i wasn't in her bee-line. I did have on a red Farmall ball cap and have heard that bees don't like the color red, could this be the cause :confused: . Jack

P.S. i did get 7 gallons of gooseberries picked after the battle :mrgreen:

2. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't even walk across the front of my hives without a particular bee coming after me. This went on for a good week or so - this little gal would follow me to the house! Finally one day, she got to buzzing me and got hung up in my pony tail and stung me on the back of the neck. I always apologize to my bees when I hear that "crunch" as I get into a hive because I am so cautious of killing bees by mistake, but I didn't shed a tear for this little gal.

My husband's favorite pie is gooseberry! They are hard to find anymore around here.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

bees cannot see the color red so i doubt it was your hat

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It was the Farmall. Bees like John Deere. :D

5. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Iddee lol!!!! I drove my JD right past my hot hive and had no problems so I bet your right!
    Jack if you make a pie, I had some blueberry goosberry pie. Real good!!!!

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I had a bee with an attitude get me a few weeks back... though in her case I'm quite positive it was the same bee that got burnt by a hot ember that flew out of the smoker. I saw her get burnt, and I watched as she went absolutely insane and stayed that way. The day she finally got me I was just filling up the watering can and saw her repeatedly pinging the side of the house... as if she expected the house to get out of her way, a few moments later she caught my scent and sent me running for the house, but she was faster than I and nailed me right on the jugular vein. I wasn't sad for her death. I've had other bees that seem to be particularly interrested in me for some reason or another, but none so aggressive as that one. Most do like the one you had do, and just buzz around my head, if I stand still I'm usually fine and after checking me out will fly on back home, but the minute I start moving if she's still around, she'll start pinging my hair which sends me a runnin'.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had a feeling i'd get hammered over the Farmall hat. :mrgreen: They paint JD tractors green so they can hide in the field while the Red Farmall does all the work :wave: . Finally got the sweet potatoes in the ground (over a hundred) and had several bees check me out but not aggessive like the one yesterday and i was closer to there hives.The blueberry gooseberry pie sounds good, but i'm partial to the drop biscuit cobbler that my wife makes :thumbsup: . Jack

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We have several bees that get an attitude every once in a while. Usually because we're messing with something she considers to be her source of food and wants us to leave it alone.
    I was trying to pick some wild roses a couples weeks ago but the bees were working the blooms so much I had to squat way low and very carefully cut blooms from the outside edges of the thicket or else the girls would throw a fit and not leave me alone till I left.
    I narrowly escaped that one, but I still got my roses!

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I miss gooseberry cobbler if it's done right, but picking those things can be enough to make you want to hide in a dark place wrapped in a soft blanket! I used to spend entire days in the woods picking those to sell at the farmer's market.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ever notice in a bar there is always ONE patron with an attitude? most times they don't like those red Farmall hats either.

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I was taught at a very early age that real tractors are red and John Deers were painted green and yellow so they could sneek thru the ditches when passing a farm field with a red working tractor. that is also why they painted the wheels of Olivers red so people didn't mistake them for those lazy JD's.

Got to admit though JD hired the right ad agency as ever city slicker that buys 5 acres in the country buys a JD mail box, JD hat, hanky, shirt, jacket and even some times a tractor not a Kobota.

And for the cranky bee there is one in every croud be it people dogs cats or honey bees.

:D Al

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mama beek, our mother would make us boys put lomg sleeve shirts on and she would pour coal oil around our sleeves and pant leg (for ticks and chiggers) and send us to the woods to pick gooseberries. The only thing we had to watch for was a big juicy cooperhead :eek:. Mom would can the gooseberries.I had a order for six gallon from a customer for $18.00 a gallon, when he came to get them he gave my wife $120.00 dollars and wouldn't take the change :confused: . I was picking 30 to 40 gallon every year but a storm wiped out all but four bushes.My bees are getting more aggessive,so i'm thinking they have alot of stores :thumbsup: . Tec. i have a 3020 JD tractor and i like to were my Farmall cap to the JD parts store just to stir them up :mrgreen: .Jack

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

al writes:
    Got to admit though JD hired the right ad agency as ever city slicker that buys 5 acres in the country buys a JD mail box, JD hat, hanky, shirt, jacket and even some times a tractor not a Kobota.

tecumseh:
    I might guess the JD tractor salesman didn't tell anyone the engines of a lot of the JD tractors are made in Japan.

I am a Ford man myself (use to work for them long ago)... I like a tractor that leaks oil so you never need to do a fluid change.